Document Type : Original Articles
Department of Occupational Therapy, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background: Considering the prevalence of stroke, an economical and reliable questionnaire is needed for use in research and rehabilitation to measure the amount of burden on caregivers of stroke patients. True to our knowledge, there is no exclusive Persian language instrument for assessing the burden of stroke caregivers. The current study investigated the validity and reliability of the Burden Scale for Family Caregivers-short version (BSFC-s) for stroke patients’ caregivers.
Methods: In this cross-sectional study, 51 stroke patients and their caregivers were studied using the above-named questionnaire translated from English into Persian. Construct validity of the questionnaire was evaluated by Spearman and Eta correlation. Cronbach’s Alfa was used to assess internal consistency. Factorial structure was evaluated by exploratory analysis.
Results: The test-retest reliability of the questionnaire was calculated to be 0.93, and the questionnaire’s internal consistency was 0.93. The construct validity of the questionnaire was acceptable.
Conclusions: In general, it can be said that this questionnaire has a good structure for assessing the burden of caregivers. In addition, by 10 items we can consider this questionnaire as an economically viable option in research and practice.
- Montgomery RJ, Stull DE, Borgatta EF. Measurement and the analysis of burden. Research on Aging. 1985;7(1):137-52.
- Biegel DE, Sales E, Schulz R. Family caregiving in chronic illness: Alzheimer's disease, cancer, heart disease, mental illness, and stroke: Sage Publications, Inc; 1991.
- Graf R, LeLaurin J, Schmitzberger M, Freytes IM, Orozco T, Dang S, et al. The stroke caregiving trajectory in relation to caregiver depressive symptoms, burden, and intervention outcomes. Topics in stroke rehabilitation. 2017;24(7):488-95.
- Liu J, Wang L-n, Tan J-p, Ji P, Gauthier S, Zhang Y-l, et al. Burden, anxiety and depression in caregivers of veterans with dementia in Beijing. Archives of gerontology and geriatrics. 2012;55(3):560-3.
- Anderson CS, Linto J, Stewart-Wynne EG. A population-based assessment of the impact and burden of caregiving for long-term stroke survivors. Stroke. 1995;26(5):843-9.
- Caro CC, Costa JD, Da Cruz DMC. Burden and Quality of Life of Family Caregivers of Stroke Patients. Occupational therapy in health care. 2018:1-18.
- Chuluunbaatar E, Pu C, Chou Y-J. Changes in caregiver burden among informal caregivers of stroke patients in Mongolia. Topics in stroke rehabilitation. 2017;24(4):314-21.
- Mudzi W, Stewart A, Musenge E. Effect of carer education on functional abilities of patients with stroke. International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation. 2012;19(7):380-5.
- Miller EL, Murray L, Richards L, Zorowitz RD, Bakas T, Clark P, et al. Comprehensive overview of nursing and interdisciplinary rehabilitation care of the stroke patient: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Stroke. 2010;41(10):2402-48.
- Gillespie D, Campbell F. Effect of stroke on family carers and family relationships. Nursing Standard. 2011;26(2).
- Reinhard SC, Levine C, Samis S. Family caregivers providing complex chronic care to their spouses. Washington, DC: AARP Public Policy Institute. 2014.
- Robinson BC. Validation of a caregiver strain index. Journal of gerontology. 1983;38(3):344-8.
- Elmståhl S, Malmberg B, Annerstedt L. Caregiver's burden of patients 3 years after stroke assessed by a novel caregiver burden scale. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation. 1996;77(2):177-82.
- op Reimer WS, De Haan R, Pijnenborg J, Limburg M, Van den Bos G. Assessment of burden in partners of stroke patients with the sense of competence questionnaire. Stroke. 1998;29(2):373-9.
- Folkman S, Lazarus RS. If it changes it must be a process: study of emotion and coping during three stages of a college examination. Journal of personality and social psychology. 1985;48(1):150.
- Brogaard T, Neergaard MA, Guldin MB, Sokolowski I, Vedsted P. Translation, adaptation and data quality of a Danish version of the Burden Scale for Family Caregivers. Scandinavian journal of caring sciences. 2013;27(4):1018-26.
- Ulusoy N, Graessel E. Subjective burden of family caregivers with Turkish immigration background in Germany. Zeitschrift für Gerontologie und Geriatrie. 2017;50(4):339-46.
- Pendergrass A, Malnis C, Graf U, Engel S, Graessel E. Screening for caregivers at risk: Extended validation of the short version of the Burden Scale for Family Caregivers (BSFC-s) with a valid classification system for caregivers caring for an older person at home. BMC health services research. 2018;18(1):229.
- Anthoine E, Moret L, Regnault A, Sébille V, Hardouin J-BJH, outcomes qol. Sample size used to validate a scale: a review of publications on newly-developed patient reported outcomes measures. 2014;12(1):2.
- Jamali AR, Hassani Mehraban A, Amini M. Translation, face and content validity of burden scale for family caregivers. Middle East Journal of Rehabilitation and Health. 2018;5(1).
- Wade D, Collin C. The Barthel ADL Index: a standard measure of physical disability? International disability studies. 1988;10(2):64-7.
- Hsueh I-P, Lee M-M, Hsieh C-L. Psychometric characteristics of the Barthel activities of daily living index in stroke patients. Journal of the Formosan Medical Association. 2001;100(8):526-32.
- Bohannon RW. Motricity index scores are valid indicators of paretic upper extremity strength following stroke. Journal of Physical Therapy Science. 2001;11(2):59-61.
- Fayazi M, Dehkordi SN, Dadgoo M, Salehi M. Test-retest reliability of Motricity Index strength assessments for lower extremity in post stroke hemiparesis. Medical journal of the Islamic Republic of Iran. 2012;26(1):27.
- Beck AT, Steer RA, Carbin MG. Psychometric properties of the Beck Depression Inventory: Twenty-five years of evaluation. Clinical psychology review. 1988;8(1):77-100.
- Furlanetto LM, Mendlowicz MV, Bueno JR. The validity of the Beck Depression Inventory-Short Form as a screening and diagnostic instrument for moderate and severe depression in medical inpatients. Journal of affective disorders. 2005;86(1):87-91.
- Hillman DR, Lack LCJMJoA. Public health implications of sleep loss: the community burden. 2013;199:S7-S10.
- Levine TR, Hullett CR. Eta squared, partial eta squared, and misreporting of effect size in communication research. Human Communication Research. 2002;28(4):612-25.
- Koo TK, Li MY. A guideline of selecting and reporting intraclass correlation coefficients for reliability research. Journal of chiropractic medicine. 2016;15(2):155-63.
- Renner W, Salem I, Ottomeyer K. Cross-cultural validation of measures of traumatic symptoms in groups of asylum seekers from Chechnya, Afghanistan, and West Africa. Social Behavior and Personality: an international journal. 2006;34(9):1101-14.
- Graessel E, Berth H, Lichte T, Grau H. Subjective caregiver burden: validity of the 10-item short version of the Burden Scale for Family Caregivers BSFC-s. BMC geriatrics. 2014;14(1):1.
- Bouwmans C, De Jong K, Timman R, Zijlstra-Vlasveld M, Van der Feltz-Cornelis C, Tan SS, et al. Feasibility, reliability and validity of a questionnaire on healthcare consumption and productivity loss in patients with a psychiatric disorder (TiC-P). BMC health services research. 2013;13(1):1.
- Park MS, Kang KJ, Jang SJ, Lee JY, Chang SJ. Evaluating test-retest reliability in patient-reported outcome measures for older people: A systematic review. Int J Nurs Stud. 2018;79:58-69.