Document Type : Meta-Analyses
1 Assistant Professor, PhD, Corrective Exercises and Sports Injury Department, Faculty of Physical Education & sport sciences, University of Guilan, Rasht, Iran.
2 MS.c Student in Physical Education & sport sciences, (corrective exercise and sport injuries), Corrective Exercises and Sports Injury Department, Faculty of Physical Education & sport sciences, Physical education teachers, University of Guilan, Rasht, Iran.
3 Physical Education & sport sciences, (corrective exercise and sport injuries), Corrective Exercises and Sports Injury Department, Faculty of Physical Education & sport sciences, University of Guilan, Rasht, Iran.
Background: Considering the high prevalence of flat feet and cavus feet abnormalities among people and the adverse effects resulting from these complications on both balance and function, a systematic review on the effects
of various exercise programs on postural control and dynamic balance of these individuals seems to be essential. Thus, the current systematic review and metaanalysis examined the effects of exercise training programs on postural control and dynamic balance among individuals with flat feet and cavus feet.
Methods: Relevant articles were identified through searches across the eight databases of PubMed, SCOPUS, LILACS, CINAHL, CENTRAL, Web of Science,PEDro, and Google Scholar. The search period ranged from the beginning of
available date to November 2021. Manual searches and a complete investigation of the references of papers were also performed.
Results: The current systematic review and meta-analysis included 13 studies.Meta-analysis results indicated that the exercise programs had a significant effect on posture control (P=0.001) and dynamic balance (P=0.001) among individuals with flat feet and cavus feet. The effect size of Hedges’s g of the exercise programs on postural control was 1.81 with a confidence interval of 95% (1.40-2.22). The effect size of Hedges’s g of the exercise programs on dynamic balance was 1.32 with a 95% confidence interval (0.98-1.67).
Conclusion: The present systematic review found that exercise programs had a significant effect on the postural control and dynamic balance of individuals with flat feet and cavus feet abnormalities. Study results have revealed that to better correct abnormalities and thus further improve postural control and dynamic balance, the period of exercise program should be increased. Moreover, exercise programs should also focus on greater involvement of
neuromuscular systems and direct effects on the central nervous system so that a greater effect on improving postural control and dynamic balance can be observed.
- Ivanenko Y, Gurfinkel VS. Human postural control. Frontiers in neuroscience. 2018;12:171.
- Lippi V, Maurer C, Mergner T. Evaluating Robot Posture Control and Balance by Comparison to Human Subjects using Human Likeness Measures. arXiv preprint arXiv:211014395. 2021.
- Unver B, Erdem EU, Akbas E. Effects of short-foot exercises on foot posture, pain, disability, and plantar pressure in Pes Planus. Journal of sport rehabilitation. 2019;29(4):436-40.
- Grillner S, El Manira A. Current principles of motor control, with special reference to vertebrate locomotion. Physiological reviews. 2019.
- Le Mouel C, Brette R. Mobility as the purpose of postural control. Frontiers in computational neuroscience. 2017;11:67.
- Viseux FJ. The sensory role of the sole of the foot: review and update on clinical perspectives. Neurophysiologie Clinique. 2020;50(1):55-68.
- Posa G, Betak O, Nagy E. Balance in focus: a simple observational scale to monitor the effect of exercises on static balance in case of childhood flexible flat foot. Journal of Physical Therapy Science. 2020;32(11):735-41.
- Siddiqui T, Sharma A, Gupta R, Ram C. Effect of flexible flatfoot on static and dynamic balance in school going children. Indian J Physiother Occup Ther. 2016;10:145-50.
- Adegoke BO, Alumona CJ, Adeyemo AA, Adeyinka AO. Flatfoot and Balance Performance Among Junior Secondary School Students in Ibadan, Nigeria. New Zealand Journal of Physiotherapy. 2021;49(2).
- Tahmasebi R, Karimi MT, Satvati B, Fatoye F. Evaluation of standing stability in individuals with flatfeet. Foot & ankle specialist. 2015;8(3):168-74.
- Kim J-a, Lim O-b, Yi C-h. Difference in static and dynamic stability between flexible flatfeet and neutral feet. Gait & posture. 2015;41(2):546-50.
- Dabholkar A, Shah A, Yardi S. Comparison of dynamic balance between flat feet and normal individuals using star excursion balance test. Indian Journal of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy. 2012;6(3):33-7.
- Hertel J, Gay MR, Denegar CR. Differences in postural control during single-leg stance among healthy individuals with different foot types. Journal of athletic training. 2002;37(2):129.
- Tsai L-C, Yu B, Mercer VS, Gross MT. Comparison of different structural foot types for measures of standing postural control. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 2006;36(12):942-53.
- Sung PS, Zipple JT, Andraka JM, Danial P. The kinetic and kinematic stability measures in healthy adult subjects with and without flat foot. The Foot. 2017;30:21-6.
- Sung PS. The ground reaction force thresholds for detecting postural stability in participants with and without flat foot. Journal of biomechanics. 2016;49(1):60-5.
- Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG, Group* P. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. Annals of internal medicine. 2009;151(4):264-9.
- Maher CG, Sherrington C, Herbert RD, Moseley AM, Elkins M. Reliability of the PEDro scale for rating quality of randomized controlled trials. Physical therapy. 2003;83(8):713-21.
- Sheikhhoseini R, Shahrbanian S, Sayyadi P, O’Sullivan K. Effectiveness of therapeutic exercise on forward head posture: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of manipulative and physiological therapeutics. 2018;41(6):530-9.
- Yamato TP, Maher C, Koes B, Moseley A. The PEDro scale had acceptably high convergent validity, construct validity, and interrater reliability in evaluating methodological quality of pharmaceutical trials. Journal of clinical epidemiology. 2017;86:176-81.
- Labanca L, Iovine R, Bragonzoni L, Barone G, Farella G, Benedetti MG. Instrumented platforms for balance and proprioceptive assessment in patients with total knee replacement: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Gait & Posture. 2020.
- Becker LA. Effect size (ES). 2000.
- Montgomery PG, Pyne DB, Minahan CL. The physical and physiological demands of basketball training and competition. International journal of sports physiology and performance. 2010;5(1):75-86.
- Neyeloff JL, Fuchs SC, Moreira LB. Meta-analyses and Forest plots using a microsoft excel spreadsheet: step-by-step guide focusing on descriptive data analysis. BMC research notes. 2012;5(1):1-6.
- Mehrian M, Sarshin A, Rostamkhani H. Effect of 8-week exerciseon improving the static and dynamic balance of supinated foot. Journal of Fundamental and Applied Sciences. 2016;8(3):1246-56.
- Lee D-b, Choi J-d. The effects of foot intrinsic muscle and tibialis posterior strengthening exercise on plantar pressure and dynamic balance in adults flexible pes planus. Physical Therapy Korea. 2016;23(4):27-37.
- Nikkhouamiri F, Akochakian M, Shirzad Araghi E. Effect of a Course of Selected Corrective Exercises on Balance and Function of Female Adolescents with Flexible Flatfoot. International Journal of Musculoskeletal Pain Prevention. 2019;4(2):170-9.
- Kim JS, Lee MY. The effect of short foot exercise using visual feedback on the balance and accuracy of knee joint movement in subjects with flexible flatfoot. Medicine. 2020;99(13).
- Fakoor Rashid H, Daneshmandi H. The effects of a 6 weeks corrective exercise program on improving flat foot and static balance in boys. Journal of Practical Studies of Biosciences in Sport. 2013;1(2):52-66.
- Ghaderiyan M, Ghasemi GA, Zolaktaf V. The effect of rope jumping exercise on postural control, static and dynamic balance in male students with cavus foot. 2016.
- Nikkhouamiri F, Akoochakian M, Shirzad Araghi E, Hosein Nejad SE. Effect of Six Weeks of Comprehensive Corrective Exercises on Balance and Foot Pressure Pattern in Female Adolescents with Flexible Flat Foot. The Scientific Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2020;9(3):72-82.
- Sánchez-Rodríguez R, Valle-Estévez S, Fraile-García PA, Martínez-Nova A, Gómez-Martín B, Escamilla-Martínez E. Modification of Pronated Foot Posture after a Program of Therapeutic Exercises. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2020;17(22):8406.
- Chehri SMR, Baluchi R, Eslami R, Zareian E. Effect of eight weeks of balance training on static and dynamic balance in boy students with inflexible flat foot. 2016.
- Golchini A, Rahnama N. Effect of 12-week corrective exercises on postural sways in male students with pronation distortion syndrome. Research in Sport Medicine and Technology. 2020;18(19):127-45.
- Ghaderiyan M, Ghasemi GA, Zolaktaf V. The effect of rope jumping training on postural control, static and dynamic balance in boy students with flat foot. Journal of Practical Studies of Biosciences in Sport. 2016;4(8):89-102.
- Listyorini I, Shanti M, Prabowo T. Effectiveness in Dynamic Balance: a Comparison between Foot Muscle Strengthening Using Elastic Band and without Elastic Band in Children Aged 8–12 with Flexible Flatfeet. International Journal of Integrated Health Sciences. 2015;3(1):26-32.
- Kim E-K, Kim JS. The effects of short foot exercises and arch support insoles on improvement in the medial longitudinal arch and dynamic balance of flexible flatfoot patients. Journal of physical therapy science. 2016;28(11):3136-9.
- Orhan S, Pulur A, Erol AE. The effects of the rope and weighed rope trainings on the physical and physiological parameters of the basketball players. Sağlık Bilimleri Dergisi, Fırat Üniversitesi. 2008;22(4):205-10.
- Mohammad Jabbar K, Gandomi F. The Effects of National Academy of Sports Medicine and Sahrmann Training on Foot Pressure Distribution in Flexed Posture Students. Iranian Rehabilitation Journal. 2021;19(1):99-110.
- Wang D, Linn G. Structure of proprioceptive mechanisms in the regulation of stance. Progress in Brain Research. 2008:41-8.
- Kanekar N, Aruin AS. The effect of aging on anticipatory postural control. Experimental brain research. 2014;232(4):1127-36.
- Urquhart DM, Hodges PW, Story IH. Postural activity of the abdominal muscles varies between regions of these muscles and between body positions. Gait & posture. 2005;22(4):295-301.
- Deliagina TG, Orlovsky GN, Zelenin PV, Beloozerova IN. Neural bases of postural control. Physiology. 2006;21(3):216-25.
- Hayes KC. Biomechanics of postural control. Exercise and sport sciences reviews. 1982;10(1):363.
- Moon D, Jung J, editors. Effect of Incorporating Short-Foot Exercises in the Balance Rehabilitation of Flat Foot: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Healthcare; 2021: Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute.