Document Type : Original Articles
Audiology Department, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran.
School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran.
Faculty of Rehabilitation Sciences, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
Background: This study aimed to prepare the Persian version of Speech, Spatial, and Qualities of Hearing Scale questionnaire-12 (SSQ-12-Persian version) and assess its validity and reliability to facilitate the effect of the usage of hearing aids on individuals using them.
Methods: This study is considered an original research type of article. The questionnaire was translated to Persian according to WHO method. Firstly, two fluent Persian-speaking translators translated the questionnaire from Persian to English, and then three audiologists examined the questionnaire. The questionnaire was then translated from Persian to English and conceptually reviewed by two bilingual translators. Finally, 99 senior persons aged 22 to 52 years who used hearing aids and had their hearing thresholds assessed lately were given the Persian version of the Speech, Spatial, and Qualities of Hearing Scale 12 (SSQ-12) questionnaire. T-test examination and Cronbach Alpha were used to assess the reliability and validity and test-retest reliability.
Results: Persian version of the SSQ-12 questionnaire showed high internal consistency (assessed by Cronbach Alpha = 0.924) and high test-retest (assessed by Cronbach Alpha = 0.868) reliability.
Conclusion: SSQ-12 questionnaire is a comprehensive summary of the SSQ-49 questionnaire. It would be one of the valid questionnaires to evaluate hearing performance improvement in hearing aids users. The paired sample t-test revealed that the Persian version of the SSQ-12 questionnaire has good reliability and validity, and Cronbach's alpha revealed that the questionnaire has strong internal consistency (Cronbach's alpha =0.924).The reliability of the test-retest after a month was obtained, and the total scale result was 0.867. According to this study's results, SSQ-12 can be used as other Persian translated questionnaires like GHABP, SHQ, and IOI-HA for examining the effectiveness of hearing aids and their effects on limiting disabilities related to hearing loss.
- Noble W, Gatehouse S. Effects of bilateral versus unilateral hearing aid fitting on abilities measured by the Speech, Spatial, and Qualities of Hearing scale (SSQ) Efectos de la adaptación uni o bilateral de auxiliares auditivos en las habilidades medidas la escala de cualidades auditiva, espacial y del lenguaje (SSQ). Int J Audiol. 2006;45(3):172-81.
- Bullinger M, Alonso J, Apolone G, Leplège A, Sullivan M, Wood-Dauphinee S, et al. Translating health status questionnaires and evaluating their quality: The International Quality of Life Assessment Project approach. J Clin Epidemiol. 1998;51(11):913-23.
- Keller SD, Ware Jr JE, Gandek B, Aaronson NK, Alonso J, Apolone G, et al. Testing the equivalence of translations of widely used response choice labels: results from the IQOLA project. J Clin Epidemiol. 1998;51(11):933-44.
- Akeroyd M, Guy F, Harrison D, Suller S. A factor analysis of the Speech, Spatial and Qualities of Hearing Questionnaire (SSQ). Int J Audiol. 2011;51:262.
- Banh J, Singh G, Pichora-Fuller MK. Age affects responses on the Speech, Spatial, and Qualities of Hearing Scale (SSQ) by adults with minimal audiometric loss. J Am Acad Audiol. 2012;23(02):081-91.
- Noble W. Hearing, hearing impairment, and the audible world: A theoretical essay. Audiology. 1983;22(4):325-38.
- Noble W. Self-assessment of hearing and related function: Wiley-Blackwell; 1998.
- Demeester K, Topsakal V, Hendrickx J-J, Fransen E, Van Laer L, Van Camp G, et al. Hearing disability measured by the speech, spatial, and qualities of hearing scale in clinically normal-hearing and hearing-impaired middle-aged persons, and disability screening by means of a reduced SSQ (the SSQ5). Ear Hear. 2012;33(5):615-6.
- Gatehouse S, Akeroyd M. Two-eared listening in dynamic situations: Audición con dos oídos en situaciones dinámicas. Int J Audiol. 2006;45(sup1):120-4.
- Lotfi Y, Nazeri AR, Asgari A, Moosavi A, Bakhshi E. Iranian version of speech, spatial, and qualities of hearing scale: a psychometric study. Acta Med Iran. 2016:756-64.
- Gatehouse S, Noble W. The speech, spatial and qualities of hearing scale (SSQ). Int J Audiol. 2004;43(2):85-99.
- Ghaderi J, Nazeri AR, Tabatabaee SM. Translation and Determination of Reliability and Validity of the Glasgow Hearing-Aid Benefit Profile (GHABP) Questionnaire. 2019.
- Delphi M, Abdolahi FZ, Tyler R, Bakhit M, Saki N, Nazeri AR. Validity and reliability of the Persian version of spatial hearing questionnaire. Med J Islam Repub Iran. 2015;29:231.
- Lotfian E, Moossavi A, Jalilzade Afshari P, Bakhshi E. Translation and Assessment of validity and reliability of Persian version of the International Outcome Inventory for Hearing Aids (IOI-HA). Journal of Rehabilitation Sciences & Research. 2018;5(2):36-40.
- Noble W, Jensen NS, Naylor G, Bhullar N, Akeroyd MA. A short form of the Speech, Spatial and Qualities of Hearing scale suitable for clinical use: The SSQ12. Int J Audiol. 2013;52(6):409-12.
- Miranda-Gonsalez ECd, Almeida Kd. Hearing disability measured by the Speech, Spatial and Qualities of Hearing Scale (SSQ): pilot study of a short version in Brazilian Portuguese. Audiology-Communication Research. 2017;22.