Document Type: Literature Reviews
Neuroscience Research Center, Institute of Neuropharmacology, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran.
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran.
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Resident, Student Research Committee, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran.
The number of elderlies in the world is increasing and healthy aging has become a salient issue. A health threatening factor quite prevalent among the elderlies is dysphagia. Dysphagia causes severe complications and may have negative effects on the functional ability of patients; therefore, it is known as a geriatric syndrome. Oropharyngeal dysphagia is a difficulty or an inability of forming the bolus in the mouth and safely moving it from the mouth to the esophagus. It is also interrelated to other health problems such as malnutrition and oral health. Dysphagia, malnutrition and oral health disorders are likely to cause life-threatening aspiration pneumonia in patients. As a geriatric syndrome, dysphagia should be diagnosed and managed by a multidisciplinary team of professionals. Beside health care professionals, other groups such as policymakers, researchers and scientists, industries, health funders, and the society can have their own unique role to improve the quality of care for the elderlies suffering from dysphagia.
- de Carvalho IA, Aboderin I, Arikawa-Hirasawa E, Cesari M, Furukawa Y, Robledo LM, Morley JE, Pot AM, Reginster JY, Shaw G, Tomita N. (2016). Innovation for healthy ageing: a call for papers. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 94(6), 407. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2471/BLT.16.176743.
- Beard JR, Officer A, de Carvalho IA, Sadana R, Pot AM, Michel JP, Lloyd-Sherlock P, Epping-Jordan JE, Peeters GG, Mahanani WR, Thiyagarajan JA. (2016). The World report on ageing and health: a policy framework for healthy ageing. The Lancet, 387(10033), 2145-2154. DOI: http://10.1016/S0140-6736(15)00516-4.
- Clave, P., & Shaker, R. (2015). Dysphagia: current reality and scope of the problem. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology, 12(5), 259. DOI: http://10.1038/nrgastro.2015.49.
- Ortega, O., Martin, A., & Clave, P. (2017). Diagnosis and management of oropharyngeal dysphagia among older persons, state of the art. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 18(7), 576-582. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2017.02.015.
- Wirth R, Dziewas R, Beck AM, Clave P, Hamdy S, Heppner HJ, Langmore S, Leischker AH, Martino R, Pluschinski P, RÃ¶sler A. (2016). Oropharyngeal dysphagia in older personsâfrom pathophysiology to adequate intervention: a review and summary of an international expert meeting. Clinical interventions in aging, 11, 189. DOI: http://10.2147/CIA.S97481.
- Baijens LW, Clave P, Cras P, Ekberg O, Forster A, Kolb GF, Leners JC, Masiero S, Mateos-Nozal J, Ortega O, Smithard DG. (2016). European Society for Swallowing DisordersâEuropean Union Geriatric Medicine Society white paper: oropharyngeal dysphagia as a geriatric syndrome. Clinical interventions in aging, 11, 1403. DOI: https://10.2147/CIA.S107750.
- Farpour, S., Farpour, H. R., & Smithard, D. G. (2018). Oropharyngeal dysphagia and its related health problems in Iranian elderly people: A scope of the work for future. European Journal of Integrative Medicine. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eujim.2018.07.002.
- Ekberg, O., & Feinberg, M. J. (1991). Altered swallowing function in elderly patients without dysphagia: radiologic findings in 56 cases. AJR. American journal of roentgenology, 156(6), 1181-1184. DOI: https://10.2214/ajr.156.6.2028863 .
- Smithard, D. G. (2016). Dysphagia: a geriatric giant. Med Clin Rev, 2(1), 1-7.
- DOI: https://10.21767/2471-299X.1000014.
- Farpour, S., Farpour, H. R., Smithard, D., Kardeh, B., Ghazaei, F., & Zafarghasempour, M. (2018). Dysphagia Management in Iran: Knowledge, Attitude and Practice of Healthcare Providers. Dysphagia, 1-7. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-018-9919-2.
- World Health Organization. (2016, July 8). What is malnutrition?. Retrieved from: http://www.who.int/features/qa/malnutrition/en/.
- Sura, L., Madhavan, A., Carnaby, G., & Crary, M. A. (2012). Dysphagia in the elderly: management and nutritional considerations. Clinical interventions in aging, 7, 287. DOI:
- Carrion S, Cabre M, Monteis R, Roca M, Palomera E, Serra-Prat M, Rofes L, Clave P. (2015). Oropharyngeal dysphagia is a prevalent risk factor for malnutrition in a cohort of older patients admitted with an acute disease to a general hospital. Clinical nutrition, 34(3), 436-442. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2014.04.014.
- Veldee, M. S., & Peth, L. D. (1992). Can protein-calorie malnutrition cause dysphagia?. Dysphagia, 7(2), 86-101. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02493439.
- Nishioka S, Okamoto T, Takayama M, Urushihara M, Watanabe M, Kiriya Y, Shintani K, Nakagomi H, Kageyama N. (2017). Malnutrition risk predicts recovery of full oral intake among older adult stroke patients undergoing enteral nutrition: Secondary analysis of a multicentre survey (the APPLE study). Clinical Nutrition, 36(4), 1089-1096. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2016.06.028.
- Lindmark, U., Jansson, H., Lannering, C., & Johansson, L. (2018). Oral health matters for the nutritional status of older personsâA populationâbased study. Journal of clinical nursing, 27(5-6), 1143-1152. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.14146 .
- Okabe Y, Furuta M, Akifusa S, Takeuchi K, Adachi M, Kinoshita T, Kikutani T, Nakamura S, Yamashita Y. (2016). Swallowing function and nutritional status in Japanese elderly people receiving home-care services: A 1-year longitudinal study. The journal of nutrition, health & aging, 20(7), 697-704.
- Poisson, P., Laffond, T., Campos, S., Dupuis, V., & BourdelâMarchasson, I. (2016). Relationships between oral health, dysphagia and undernutrition in hospitalised elderly patients. Gerodontology, 33(2), 161-168. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/ger.12123.
- Marik, P. E., & Kaplan, D. (2003). Aspiration pneumonia and dysphagia in the elderly. Chest, 124(1), 328-336. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.124.1.328.
- Langmore, S. E., Terpenning, M. S., Schork, A., Chen, Y., Murray, J. T., Lopatin, D., & Loesche, W. J. (1998). Predictors of aspiration pneumonia: how important is dysphagia?. Dysphagia, 13(2), 69-81. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/PL00009559.
- Rofes L, Arreola V, Almirall J, Cabre M, Campins L, Garcia-Peris P, Speyer R, Clave P. (2011). Diagnosis and management of oropharyngeal dysphagia and its nutritional and respiratory complications in the elderly. Gastroenterology research and practice, 2011. DOI: https://10.1155/2011/818979.
- Ortega, O., Parra, C., Zarcero, S., Nart, J., Sakwinska, O., & Clave, P. (2014). Oral health in older patients with oropharyngeal dysphagia. Age and ageing, 43(1), 132-137. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/aft164.