Document Type: Original Articles
Student Research Committee, School of Advanced Technologies in Medicine, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
Department of Speech Therapy, School of Paramedical Sciences, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran.
Department of Speech Therapy, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Hamadan University of Medical Sciences, Hamadan, Iran
Background: The prefrontal cortex is very susceptible to traumatic brain injury (TBI), upon which many cognitive and executive functions including planning, information processing, language, memory, attention, and perception will be impaired. Working memory (WM) is associated with high levels of cognitive processes such as language and naming process communication. In the present study, the correlation between WM and confrontation naming was investigated following TBI.Methods: The current research was a prescriptive-analytic cross-sectional study examining 20 TBI patients within the age range 18-45 years. The samples were selected from Iran, the city of Mashhad, between 2013 and 2016. The participants with a score 23 or higher in Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) were assessed through Persian naming test and sub-tests from the Wechsler Memory Scale. The collected data were analyzed by SPSS16 software.Results: There was a significant association between subtests of confrontation naming involving ‘Correct answers without cue’ and WM (P<0.05), ‘Wrong answers’ and WM (P<0.05), as well as ‘Total correct answers’ and WM (P<0.05).Conclusion: The present study indicated modest significant correlations between measures of confrontation naming and WM. These findings provide direction for future studies on the nature of naming deficits following brain injury.
- Umerani MS, Abbas A, Sharif S. Traumatic brain injuries: experience from a tertiary care centre in Pakistan. Turk Neurosurg 2014; 24: 19-24.
- Umerani MS, Abbas A, Bakhshi SK, Qasim UM, Sharif S. Evolving brain lesions in the follow-up CT scans 12 h after traumatic brain injury. Journal of Acute Disease 2016; 5: 150-3.
- Krishnamoorthy V, Vavilala MS, Mills B, Rowhani-Rahbar A. Demographic and clinical risk factors associated with hospital mortality after isolated severe traumatic brain injury: a cohort study. J Intensive Care 2015; 3: 46.
- Kim JJ, Gean AD. Imaging for the diagnosis and management of traumatic brain injury. Neurotherapeutics 2011; 8: 39-53.
- Bruns J, Jr., Hauser WA. The epidemiology of traumatic brain injury: a review. Epilepsia 2003; 44 Suppl 10: 2-10.
- Yousef zade Chabok S, Safayi M, Hemati H, Mohammadi H, Shabani S. Epidemiology of head injury in patients who were reffered to poorsina Hospital. Journal of Guilan University of Medical Sciences 2008; 16: 112-9.
- Sobhani Rad D, Hemmati E, Ehsaee M, Ghaemi H, Mardani N. Confrontation Naming Ability in Patients with Traumatic Brain Injury Referred to Shahid Kamyab Hospital of Mashhad. Journal of Paramedical Sciences & Rehabilitation 2014; 3: 61-7.
- Hemmati H, Chabok SY, Dehnadimoghadam A, Melksari HM, Dafchahi MA, Shabani S. Trauma in Guilan (North of Iran): an epidemiologic study. Acta Medica Iranica 2009; 47: 403-8.
- Fork M, Bartels C, Ebert AD, Grubich C, Synowitz H, Wallesch CW. Neuropsychological sequelae of diffuse traumatic brain injury. Brain Inj 2005; 19: 101-8.
- Oresic M, Posti JP, Kamstrup-Nielsen MH, Takala RSK, Lingsma HF, Mattila I, Jantti S, Katila AJ, Carpenter KLH, Ala-Seppala H, Kyllonen A, Maanpaa HR, Tallus J, Coles JP, Heino I, Frantzen J, Hutchinson PJ, Menon DK, Tenovuo O, Hyotylainen T. Human Serum Metabolites Associate With Severity and Patient Outcomes in Traumatic Brain Injury. EBioMedicine 2016; 12: 118-26.
- Hoskison MM, Moore AN, Hu B, Orsi S, Kobori N, Dash PK. Persistent working memory dysfunction following traumatic brain injury: evidence for a time-dependent mechanism. Neuroscience 2009; 159: 483-91.
- O'Connor B, Spencer FH, Patton WA. The role of working memory in relation to cognitive functioning in children. Australian Journal of Psychology 2003; 55: 213.
- Nazarboland N, Azadfallah P, Fathi-Ashtiani A, Ashayeri H, Khodadadi M. Assessing the impact of impulsivity on working memory performance and frontal cortical arousal. International Journal of Behavioral Sciences 2011; 5: 287-96.
- Baddeley A. The episodic buffer: a new component of working memory? Trends Cogn Sci 2000; 4: 417-23.
- Lappointe LL. Aphasia and related neurogenic language disorder. New York: Theime Medical Publisher; 1990.
- Wolf M, Denckla M. Rapid automatized naming and rapid alternating stimulus tests (RAN/RAS) Pro-Ed. Austin, TX 2005.
- Bayles KA, Tomoeda CK. Confrontation naming impairment in dementia. Brain Lang 1983; 19: 98-114.
- Barrow IM, Hough M, Rastatter MP, Walker M, Holbert D, Rotondo MF. The effects of mild traumatic brain injury on confrontation naming in adults. Brain Inj 2006; 20: 845-55.
- Bittner RM, Crowe SF. The relationship between working memory, processing speed, verbal comprehension and FAS performance following traumatic brain injury. Brain Inj 2007; 21: 709-19.
- Youse KM, Coelho CA. Working memory and discourse production abilities following closed-head injury. Brain Inj 2005; 19: 1001-9.
- Hemmati E, Ghayoumi-Anaraki Z, Ehsaei MR, Ghasisin L. The Effect of Frontal Lobe Traumatic Brain Injury on Sentence Comprehension and Working Memory. Trauma Mon 2018; In Press: e74353.
- Procaccio F, Stocchetti N, Citerio G, Berardino M. Guidelines for the treatment of adults with severe head trauma (part I): Initial assessment; evaluation and pre-hospital treatment; current criteria for hospital. Journal of neurosurgical sciences 2000; 44: 1.
- Chabok SY, Kapourchali SR, Leili EK, Saberi A, Mohtasham-Amiri Z. Effective factors on linguistic disorder during acute phase following traumatic brain injury in adults. Neuropsychologia 2012; 50: 1444-50.
- Ansari NN, Naghdi S, Hasson S, Valizadeh L, Jalaie S. Validation of a Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) for the Persian population: a pilot study. Applied neuropsychology 2010; 17: 190-5.
- Folstein MF, Folstein SE, McHugh PR. âMini-mental stateâ: a practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician. J psychia Res 1975; 12: 189-98.
- Foroughan M, Jafari Z, Shirinbayan P, Ghaem Magham Farahni Z, Rahgozar M. Standardization of mini-mental state examination among Iranian elderly in Tehran. Cognitive Sciences 2008; 10: 29-37.
- Wechsler D. Wechsler adult intelligence scaleâFourth Edition (WAISâIV). San Antonio, TX: NCS Pearson 2008; 22: 498.
- Nilipour R. Aphasia naming test (Revised version). University of Welfare & Rehabilitation Sciences Press, Tehran, Iran 2011.
- NiliPour R, shahbaz AP, Ghoreishi ZS, Yousefi A. Measures of Reliability and Validity of Persian Picture Naming Battery. Specch and Language Pathology 2014; 1: 18-25.
- Caspari I, Parkinson SR, LaPointe LL, Katz RC. Working memory and aphasia. Brain Cogn 1998; 37: 205-23.