Document Type : Original Articles
Ibn Sina Psychiatric Hospital, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Background: Stuttering is a communication disorder. It is expected that stuttering may have negative impact on individuals’ mental and emotional health, which may affect their quality of life. Therefore, this paper aims to study components of social phobia inventory in Persian adults with stuttering and compare the likelihood (odds) of social phobia in the stuttering group to that in the control group. Methods: Using social phobia inventory, this case-control study compared social phobia in 33 adults with stuttering and 33 age-gender-education matched subjects with fluent speech. All the participants were 18 years or above. Results: Independent t-test showed that the total score of the social phobia inventory. Its fear component has significant statistical differences between group of adults with and without stuttering. Moreover, the adults with stuttering have over two times more social phobia symptoms than that in ones who don’t. Conclusion: Our results suggest that social phobia should be considered in therapy programs for adults with stuttering. In addition to restructuring speech, a part of the treatment program should address people’s social phobia, especially their feeling of fear, in order to curtail some of the negative consequences associated with stuttering.
- Bloodstein O. A handbook on stuttering. 1969.
- Iverach L, Rapee RM. Social anxiety disorder and stuttering: Current status and future directions. Journal of fluency disorders. 2014;40:69-82.
- Hegde MN. Treatment protocols for stuttering: Plural Pub.; 2007.
- Hulit LM. Stuttering therapy: A guide to the Charles Van Riper approach: Charles C Thomas Pub Limited; 1985.
- Mohammadi H, Rezaei M, Moradi S, Barani M, Badri S, Heidari A. Comparison of quality of life in people who stutter and normal individuals. Journal of Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences. 2012;16(6):480-6.
- Yaruss JS, Quesal RW. Overall Assessment of the Speaker's Experience of Stuttering (OASES): Documenting multiple outcomes in stuttering treatment. Journal of fluency disorders. 2006;31(2):90-115.
- Lowe R, Onslow M, Packman A, O'Brian S, Menzies RG. Information processing and stuttering. Innovations and Future Directions in the Behavioural and Cognitive Therapies. 2016:187.
- Guitar B. Stuttering: An integrated approach to its nature and treatment: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2013.
- Mahr GC, Torosian T. Anxiety and social phobia in stuttering. Journal of Fluency Disorders. 1999;24(2):119-26.
- Kraaimaat FW, Vanryckeghem M, Van Dam-Baggen R. Stuttering and social anxiety. Journal of fluency disorders. 2002;27(4):319-31.
- Iris L, Ezrati R. The relationship between anxiety and stuttering. J Fluency Disorders. 2004;29:135-48.
- Caruso AJ, Chodzko-Zajko WJ, Bidinger DA, Sommers RK. Adults Who StutterResponses to Cognitive Stress. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. 1994;37(4):746-54.
- Craig A, Hancock K. Anxiety in children and young adolescents who stutter. Australian Journal of Human Communication Disorders. 1996;24(1):28-38.
- Lincoln M, Onslow M, Menzies RG. Beliefs about stuttering and anxiety: Research and clinical implications. Australian Journal of Human Communication Disorders. 1996;24(1):3-10.
- Messenger M, Onslow M, Packman A, Menzies R. Social anxiety in stuttering: measuring negative social expectancies. Journal of fluency disorders. 2004;29(3):201-12.
- Moutier CY, Stein MB. The history, epidemiology, and differential diagnosis of social anxiety disorder. The Journal of clinical psychiatry. 1999.
- Kessler RC, Berglund P, Demler O, Jin R, Merikangas KR, Walters EE. Lifetime prevalence and age-of-onset distributions of DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. Archives of general psychiatry. 2005;62(6):593-602.
- Kashdan TB, Herbert JD. Social anxiety disorder in childhood and adolescence: Current status and future directions. Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review. 2001;4(1):37-61.
- Connor KM, Davidson JR, Churchill LE, Sherwood A, Weisler RH, FOA E. Psychometric properties of the Social Phobia Inventory (SPIN) New self-rating scale. The British Journal of Psychiatry. 2000;176(4):379-86.
- Stein MB, Baird A, Walker JR. Social phobia in adults with stuttering. The American journal of psychiatry. 1996;153(2):278-80.
- Menzies RG, OâBrian S, Onslow M, Packman A, St Clare T, Block S. An experimental clinical trial of a cognitive-behavior therapy package for chronic stuttering. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. 2008;51(6):1451-64.
- Mohammadi MR, Ghanizadeh A, Mohammadi M, Mesgarpour B. Prevalence of social phobia and its comorbidity with psychiatric disorders in Iran. Depression and anxiety. 2006;23(7):405-11.
- Kakoee F, Arani-Kashani Z, Kamali M, Janbozorgi M. Social Phobia and Its Relation to Demographic Characteristics in Adults with Stuttering Disorder. Iranian Journal of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology. 2016;21(4):362-9.
- Hoseininejad M, Shrifabadi M, Ghayoumi Anaraki Z, Sobhani Rad D, Pourmohammad A. Study of Social Anxiety Components in People who stutter. Journal of Paramedical Sciences & Rehabilitation. 2016;5(1):38-44.
- Hofmann SG, Asnaani A, Hinton DE. Cultural aspects in social anxiety and social anxiety disorder. Depression and anxiety. 2010;27(12):1117-27.
- Craig A, Hancock K, Tran Y, Craig M, Peters K. Epidemiology of stuttering in the community across the entire life span. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. 2002;45(6):1097-105.
- Connor KM, Davidson JR, Churchill LE, Sherwood A, Weisler RH, FOA E. Psychometric properties of the social phobia inventory (SPIN). The British Journal of Psychiatry. 2000;176(4):379-86.
- Dogaheh ER. Psychometric Properties of Farsi Version of the Social Phobia Inventory (SPIN). Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2013;84:763-8.
- Riley GD, Bakker K. Stuttering Severity Instrument: SSI-4: ASHA; 2009.
- TahmasebiGarmatani N, Shafie B, Feizi A, Salehi A, Howell P. Determination of the reliability of the stuttering severity instrument-specific adults who stutter. J Res Rehabil Sci. 2012;8(4):1-7.
- Blumgart E, Tran Y, Craig A. Social anxiety disorder in adults who stutter. Depression and Anxiety. 2010;27(7):687-92.
- Mulcahy K, Hennessey N, Beilby J, Byrnes M. Social anxiety and the severity and typography of stuttering in adolescents. Journal of Fluency Disorders. 2008;33(4):306-19.
- Klein JF, Hood SB. The impact of stuttering on employment opportunities and job performance. Journal of fluency disorders. 2004;29(4):255-73.
- Iverach L, Jones M, OâBrian S, Block S, Lincoln M, Harrison E, et al. Mood and substance use disorders among adults seeking speech treatment for stuttering. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. 2010;53(5):1178-90.
- Woody SR, Miao S, Kellman-McFarlane K. Cultural differences in social anxiety: A meta-analysis of Asian and European heritage samples. Asian American Journal of Psychology. 2015;6(1):47.
- Iverach L, OâBrian S, Jones M, Block S, Lincoln M, Harrison E, et al. Prevalence of anxiety disorders among adults seeking speech therapy for stuttering. Journal of anxiety disorders. 2009;23(7):928-34.
- Makkar SR, Grisham JR. Social anxiety and the effects of negative self-imagery on emotion, cognition, and post-event processing. Behaviour research and therapy. 2011;49(10):654-64.
- Iverach L, Menzies RG, OâBrian S, Packman A, Onslow M. Anxiety and stuttering: Continuing to explore a complex relationship. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology. 2011;20(3):221-32.
- St Clare T, Menzies RG, Onslow M, Packman A, Thompson R, Block S. Unhelpful thoughts and beliefs linked to social anxiety in stuttering: Development of a measure. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders. 2009;44(3):338-51.
- Iverach L, Menzies R, Jones M, O'Brian S, Packman A, Onslow M. Further development and validation of the unhelpful thoughts and beliefs about stuttering (UTBAS) scales: Relationship to anxiety and social phobia among adults who stutter. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders. 2011;46(3):286-99.
- Luc F, Brutten GJ. Speech-associated attitudes of stuttering and nonstuttering children. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. 1991;34(1):60-6.
- Moore W, Lang MK. Alpha asymmetry over the right and left hemispheres of stutterers and control subjects preceding massed oral readings: A preliminary investigation. Perceptual and Motor Skills. 1977;44(1):223-30.
- Moore W, Haynes WO. Alpha Hemispheric Asymmetry and StutteringSome Support for a Segmentation Dysfunction Hypothesis. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. 1980;23(2):229-47.
- Merikangas KR, Pine D. Genetic and other vulnerability factors for anxiety and stress disorders. Neuropsychopharmacology: The fifth generation of progress. 2002:867-82.
- Smith KA, Iverach L, OâBrian S, Kefalianos E, Reilly S. Anxiety of children and adolescents who stutter: A review. Journal of fluency disorders. 2014;40:22-34.
- Lowe R, Guastella AJ, Chen NT, Menzies RG, Packman A, OâBrian S, et al. Avoidance of eye gaze by adults who stutter. Journal of fluency disorders. 2012;37(4):263-74.
- McAllister J, Gascoine S, Carroll A, Humby K, Kingston M, Shepstone L, et al. Cognitive bias modification for social anxiety in adults who stutter: a feasibility study of a randomised controlled trial. BMJ open. 2017;7(10):e015601.