Document Type: Original Articles
Department of Speech Therapy, School of Paramedical Sciences, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Department of Speech Therapy, School of Paramedical Sciences, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran.
Behavioral Sciences Research Center (BSRC), Nursing Faculty, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
Department of Social and Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran.
Background: Specific language impairment (SLI) is one of the most common disorders of language development in children, which has been less addressed in Persian studies. The aim of this study was to evaluate the grammatical characteristics of Persian-speaking children with SLI using Photographic Expressive Persian Grammar Test (PEGT).Methods: This case-control, cross-sectional study was conducted on 16 children with SLI and 16 normal children aged 4-6 years, who were monolingual Persian speakers. The subjects in both groups were age- and gender-matched. After selecting each participant, PEGT was administered and results were recorded in an answer sheet and analyzed. To analyze the data, the mean total scores of the test and mean scores related to each syntactic structure of the PEGT were compared between the two groups using Mann–Whitney test.Results: In this study, a significant difference was observed in mean total scores of the test between the studied groups. In detail, the mean score of the normal group was significantly higher as compared with the SLI group (P<0.05). Moreover, a significant difference was found between the groups regarding each of the evaluated syntactic structures (P<0.05).Conclusion: According to the results of the present study, children with SLI had weaker performance as compared with their normally developing age-matched peers in evaluated morphosyntactic structures.
- Isoaho P, Kauppila T, Launonen K. Specific language impairment (SLI) and reading development in early school years. âChild Lang. Teach. Ther. 2016;32(2):147-57. Doi.org/10.1177/0265659015601165.
- Oryadi-Zanjani MM, Vahab M, Rasouli J, Mohammadi F, Firouzi-Parizi M. The Prevalence of Specific Language Impairment in 6-Year-Old Persian-Speaking Children in Shiraz City, Iran, 2015. International Journal of School Health 2016;3(3). Doi: 10.17795/intjsh-31841.
- Oryadi-Zanjani M, Vahab M, Rasouli J, Ashkbousi R, Barpoosh N. The Prevalence of Specific Language Impairment in 5-year-old Persian-Speaking Children in Shiraz City of Iran. Journal of Rehabilitation Sciences and Research 2015;4:93-6.
- Bishop DV. Genetic and environmental risks for specific language impairment in children. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 2001;356(1407):369-80. DOI: 10.1098/rstb.2000.0770.
- Haresabadi F and Shirazi TS (2015) Phonological working memory and auditory processing speed in children with specific language impairment. Audiol 23(6): 32-44.Persian.
- Leonard LB. Children with specific language impairment. MIT press; 2014.
- Riches NG. Treating the passive in children with specific language impairment: A usage-based approach. âChild Lang. Teach. Ther 2013;29(2):155-69. Doi.org/10.1177/0265659012466667.
- Ebbels S. Effectiveness of intervention for grammar in school-aged children with primary language impairments: A review of the evidence. âChild Lang. Teach. Ther 2014;30(1):7-40. Doi.org/10.1177/0265659013512321.
- Shahmahmood TM, Jalaie S, Soleymani Z, Haresabadi F, Nemati P. A systematic review on diagnostic procedures for specific language impairment: The sensitivity and specificity issues. J Res Med Sci 2016;21. Doi: 10.4103/1735-1995.189648.
- Haresabadi F, Shirazi TS, Ebadi A, Kazemi MD, Anaraki ZG, Shahmahmood TM. Identification of High-Frequency Morphosyntactic Structures in Persian-Speaking Children Aged 4-6 Years: A Qualitative Research. Iran J Med Sci. In press.
- Rice ML, Wexler K, Redmond SM. Grammaticality Judgments of an Extended Optional Infinitive GrammarEvidence From English-Speaking Children With Specific Language Impairment. J SPEECH LANG HEAR R Journal 1999;42(4):943-61. Doi:10.1044/jslhr.4204.943.
- Ullman MT, Pierpont EI. Specific language impairment is not specific to language: The procedural deficit hypothesis. Cortex 2005;41(3):399-433. Doi:10.1016/S0010-9452(08)70276-4
- Paul R, Norbury C. Language Disorders from Infancy Through Adolescence - E-Book: Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing, and Communicating. Elsevier Health Sciences; 2012.
- Maleki Shahmahmood T, Nakhostin Ansari N, Soleimani Z. Methodes for identification of specific language impairment. Audiolo 2014;23(2):1-18.Persian.
- Hansson K, Nettelbladt U. Assessment of specific language impairment in Swedish. Logoped Phoniatr Vocol 2002;27(4):146-54. Doi:10.1080/140154302762493207
- Redmond SM. Conversational profiles of children with ADHD, SLI and typical development. Clin Linguist Phon 2004;18(2):107-25. Doi:10.1080/02699200310001611612
- Hewitt LE, Hammer CS, Yont KM, Tomblin JB. Language sampling for kindergarten children with and without SLI: Mean length of utterance, IPSYN, and NDW. Clin Commun Disord 2005;38(3):197-213. Doi:10.1016/j.jcomdis.2004.10.002
- Marini A, Tavano A, Fabbro F. Assessment of linguistic abilities in Italian children with specific language impairment. Neuropsychologia 2008;46(11):2816-23. Doi:10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2008.05.013
- Puglisi ML, Befi-Lopes DM, Takiuchi N. Use and comprehension of prepositions by children with specific language impairment. Pro Fono 2005; 17(3):331-44. Doi:10.1590/S0104-56872005000300007
- Ahadi H. Pragmatic and Grammatical competence in Language Impairment: A Window onto Domain Specificity. Language Related Research 2016; 4(32):1-21.Persian.
- Hassanzade S, Minayi A, Test Of Language Development, primary in: Newcomer PL, Hammill DD Institute of Education Studies publication; 2010.Persian.
- Maleki Shahmahmood T, Soleymani Z, Jalaei S. A comparison study in test of language development (TOLD) and speech samples between children with specific language impairment and their MLU matched group. Mod Rehabil 2009;2:25â33.Persian.
- Maleki Shahmahmood T, Soleymani Z, Faghihzade S. The study of language performances of Persian children with specific language impairment. Audiol 2011;20:11â21.Persian.
- Perona K, Plante E, Vance R. Diagnostic Accuracy of the Structured Photographic Expressive Language TestThird Edition (SPELT-3). Lang Speech Hear Serv Sch 2005;36(2):103-15. Doi:10.1044/0161-1461(2005/010)
- Justice LM, Bowles R, Pence K, Gosse C. A scalable tool for assessing children's language abilities within a narrative context: The NAP (Narrative Assessment Protocol). Early Child Res Q 2010;25(2):218-34. Doi:10.1016/j.ecresq.2009.11.002
- Tomblin JB, Records NL, Zhang X. A system for the diagnosis of specific language impairment in kindergarten children. J SPEECH LANG HEAR R Journal 1996;39(6):1284-94. Doi:10.1044/jshr.3906.1284
- Hegde MN, Pomaville F. Assessment of communication disorders in children: resources and protocols. Plural Pub; 2008.
- Haresabadi F, Ebadi A, Shirazi TS, Dastjerdi Kazemi M. Design and validation of a Photographic Expressive Persian Grammar Test for children aged 4â6 years. âChild Lang. Teach. Ther 2016;32(2):193-204. Doi:10.1177/0265659015595445.
- Razaviye A, Shahim S. Standardization of the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for pre-school period in Shiraz. journal of social sciences and humanities of shiraz university 1992;5(2).Persian.
- Pirozzo S, Papinczak T, Glasziou P. Whispered voice test for screening for hearing impairment in adults and children: systematic review. Bmj 2003;327(7421):967. Doi:10.1136/bmj.327.7421.967.
- Kazemi Y, Klee T, Stringer H. Diagnostic accuracy of language sample measures with Persian-speaking preschool children. Clin Linguist Phon 2015;29(4):304-18. Doi:10.3109/02699206.2014.1003097.
- Paradis J, Crago M. Tense and Temporality: A Comparison Between Children Learning a Second Language and Children With SLI. J SPEECH LANG HEAR R Journal 2000;43(4):834-47. Doi:10.1044/jslhr.4304.834.
- Hsu HJ, Bishop DV. Grammatical difficulties in children with specific language impairment: Is learning deficient? Hum Dev 2010;53(5):264-77. Doi: 10.1159/000321289.
- Marshall CR, van der Lely HKJ. Irregular past tense forms in English: how data from children with specific language impairment contribute to models of morphology. Morphology 2012;22(1):121-41.
- Norbury CF, Bishop DVM, Briscoe J. Production of English Finite Verb MorphologyA Comparison of SLI and Mild-Moderate Hearing Impairment. J SPEECH LANG HEAR R Journal 2001;44(1):165-78. Doi:10.1044/1092-4388(2001/015).
- Redmond SM. Differentiating SLI from ADHD using children's sentence recall and production of past tense morphology. Clin Linguist Phon 2005;19(2):109-27. Doi:10.1080/02699200410001669870.
- Charest MJ, Leonard LB. Predicting tense: Finite verb morphology and subject pronouns in the speech of typically-developing children and children with specific language impairment. Journal of child language 2004;31(01):231-46. Doi:10.1017/S0305000903005877.
- Pawlowska M, Leonard LB, Camarata SM, Brown B, Camarata MN. Factors accounting for the ability of children with SLI to learn agreement morphemes in intervention. Journal of Child Language 2008;35(1):25. Doi:10.1017/S0305000907008227.
- Van der Lely HK. Domain-specific cognitive systems: insight from Grammatical-SLI. Trends Cogn Sci 2005;9(2):53-9. Doi:10.1016/j.tics.2004.12.002.
- Hoover JR, Storkel HL. Grammatical treatment and specific language impairment: Neighbourhood density & third person singular âs. Clin Linguist Phon. 2013;27(9):661-80. Doi.org/10.3109/02699206.2013.789928.
- Rice ML, Wexler K. Toward tense as a clinical marker of specific language impairment in English-speaking children. J SPEECH LANG HEAR R Journal 1996;39(6):1239-57. Doi:10.1044/jshr.3906.1239.
- Redmond SM, Rice ML. Detection of irregular verb violations by children with and without SLI. J SPEECH LANG HEAR R Journal 2001;44(3):655-69. Doi:10.1044/1092-4388(2001/053).
- Hedenius M, Persson J, Tremblay A, Adi-Japha E, Verissimo J, Dye CD, et al. Grammar predicts procedural learning and consolidation deficits in children with specific language impairment. Res. Dev. Disabil. 2011;32(6):2362-75. Doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2011.07.026.
- Sanz-Torrent M, Serrat E, Andreu L, Serra M. Verb morphology in Catalan and Spanish in children with specific language impairment: a developmental study. Clin Linguist Phon 2008;22(6):459-74. Doi:10.1080/02699200801892959
- Bedore LM, Leonard LB. Verb inflections and noun phrase morphology in the spontaneous speech of Spanish-speaking children with specific language impairment. âAppl. Psycholinguist 2005;26(02):195-225.
- Hamann C, Ohayon S, Dube S, Frauenfelder UH, Rizzi L, Starke M, et al. Aspects of grammatical development in young French children with SLI. Dev. Sci. 2003;6(2):151-8.
- Novogrodsky R, Friedmann N. The production of relative clauses in syntactic SLI: A window to the nature of the impairment. Advances in Speech Language Pathology 2006;8(4):364-75.
- Spaulding TJ, Plante E, Farinella KA. Eligibility criteria for language impairment: Is the low end of normal always appropriate? Lang Speech Hear Serv Sch 2006; 37(1):61-72. Doi:10.1044/0161-1461(2006/007).