Document Type : Original Articles
Department of Speech Therapy, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Department of Speech and language Therapy, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
Student Research Committee, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
Student Research Committee, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran.
Background: Reading comprehension is one of the primary skills required of students in elementary schools. Various factors can influence this skill, including bilingualism. Owing to the variety of languages and dialects in Iran, a large number of students learn Farsi as a second language; consequently, they are faced with numerous challenges in acquiring high-level skills such as reading and writing. The present study was aimed at comparing reading comprehension and reading accuracy between bilingual Arabic and Farsi-speaking and monolingual Farsi-speaking fifth grade children in Ahvaz.Methods: This cross-sectional, descriptive analytic study was carried out employing a random sample of 165 bilingual students (91 girls and 74 boys), and 159 monolingual students (79 girls and 80 boys). The students were evaluated in terms of reading accuracy and comprehension skills using some selected parts from a reading test developed by Shafei et al., in 2009. Finally, mean scores were compared between the two groups employing the independent samples t-test.Results: Both reading comprehension and accuracy were significantly higher in monolinguals compared to bilingual Arabic/Farsi-speaking students (P=0.000). Gender stratified results showed higher levels of reading comprehension skills in both monolingual girls (P=0.000) and boys (P=0.03) in comparison to bilinguals. However, in the reading accuracy subtest, only monolingual girls had a significantly superior performance than the bilinguals (P=0.000).Conclusion: Overall, our results showed lower levels of reading comprehension and accuracy skills in bilingual fifth grade students in comparison to their monolingual peers in the city of Ahvaz. It seems that even in the late elementary school years, bilingual children have not attained the same level as their monolingual peers. Due to the importance of reading skills in academic achievement and day-to-day life, we highly recommend the implementation of measures toward improving these skills among bilingual elementary school students.
- Cain K. Reading development and difficulties: John Wiley & Sons; 2010.
- Naemi A. Psychology of Reading Education. 5 th edition ed: Astan Qods Razavi Press; 2004.
- Thomson M. Developmental dyslexia: John Wiley & Sons Incorporated; 1990.
- Bialystok E, Luk G, Kwan E. Bilingualism, biliteracy, and learning to read: Interactions among languages and writing systems. Scientific studies of reading. 2005;9(1):43-61.
- Hoff E,Interpreting the Early Language Trajectories Of Children from Low SES and Language Minority Homes:Implications for Closing Achivement Gaps.Dev Psychol.2013;49(1):4-14 .
- Nilipour R. Linguistics and language pathology. first ed. Tehran: HERMES Press; 2001.
- Ainley J, Foreman J, Sheret M. High school factors that influence students to remain in school. The Journal of Educational Research. 1991;85(2):69-80.
- Paez MM, Tabors PO, Lopez LM. Dual language and literacy development of Spanish-speaking preschool children. J Appl Dev Psychol. 2007; 85-102:(2)28.
- Cobo-Lewis AB, Pearson BZ, Eilers RE, Umbel VC. Effects of bilingualism and bilingual education on oral and written Spanish skills: a multifactor study of standardized test outcomes; Inderdependance of Spanish and English knowledge in language and literacy among bilingual English children.Language And Litracy In Bilingual Children. 2002;p.64-97.
- Bialystok E, McBride-Chang C, Luk G. Bilingualism, language proficiency, and learning to read in two writing systems. J. Educ. Psychol. 2005;97(4):580.
- Meriuo-Storm T. Development of first language literacy skills in bilingual education.Education Line Database, Paper presented at the European Conference on Educational Research, University of Hamburg, 17-20 September 2003.
- Mumtaz S, Humphreys G. The effects of bilingualism on learning to read English: evidence from the contrast between UrduâEnglish bilingual and English monolingual children. Journal of Research in Reading. 2001;24(2):113-34.
- Bialystok , E . (2001).Bilingualism in development : Language ,literacy ,and cognition . New York, NY : Cambridge University Press
- Housepian A. Comparison of semantic skills of bilingual & monolingual students at 2 & 5 grade of elementary schools in Tehran city . 14 ed. Tehran: Institute for Humanities and Cultural Studies; 2001.
- Ehteshami T, Mousavi G. To Compare the the academic achievement of students in bilingual with monolingual students in the Isfahanprovince. The first National Conference on Bilingualism and Education; 2009; Tabriz.
- A Comparison in Reading Ability and Achievement between Mono-Lingual and Bilingual Fifth Graders. 2017; 32 (4) :67-84
- Mehrjou A, hadian M. Compare the academic achievement of third grade bilingual and monolingual students -in boys- and compare the correlation coefficient between the scores of Farsi with other courses. Ahvaz: Ministry of Education; 1992
- Dashti F , Mesrabadi JØ Taghi Zavvar T, Cluster of Monolingual And Bilingual Students Based on Reading and Writing Problems, Journal of New Thoghts on Education, 2017; 13( 3) : 187-210.
- Borzou S, Gholamzadeh Z. Study of reading comprehension & accuracy skills in monolingual & bilingual (Arab-Fars) students at grade 2 of elementary school in Ahvaz, Ahvaz: Ahvaz Jundishapoor University of Medical Sciences; 2008
- Shiralipour A ,Asadi M, Nazari A, Shakuri Z. A study of meta- analysis of role of pre-school education and bilingualism in education achievement. Journal of Education.2013; 20(1):131-154.
- Shafiei B, Tavakol S, Alinia L, Maracy M, Sedaghati L, Foroughi R. Developing a screening inventory reading test (IRT) for the Isfahanian students of the first to fifth grade. Journal of Audiology Mar 2009;17(2):53-60.
- Ahmadi DahQotbaddini M, Ahadi H. The effect of motivational-social factors of reading at home and school on reading attitude of fourth and fifth grades of elementary school's student. Curriculum Planning Knowledge & Research In Educational Sciences. 2013; 35 (9): 74 - 85.
- Sardarpour S, Derakhshanpour F, sadr S, Yasami M. Behavioral disorders in children of families with a child or several children. Iranian journal of psychiatry and clinical psychology. 2003;9(1):20-6.
- Hasanati F, Jalaipur M, Latifi SM, Gudarz M, Saleh M. Study of Phonological Awareness Skills among Farsi Monolingual and Farsi-Arabic Bilingual Students in the Second Grade in Ahvaz. Advances in Cognitive Science. 2012;14(1):67-74.
- Jalalipour M, Hasanati F, Nazari M, Afshari S, Shams D. Skills of phonological awareness in monolingual Farsi and bilingual Farsi-Arabic speaking in the Ahwaz city`s first grade students. Speech and language pathology. 2014;1(2):27-33.
- Ashtari A, shirazi T. Phonological awareness: its development and role in reading. speech and language pathology. 2014;1(2):66-77.
- Karimi A, Kabiri M, editors. Comparison of reading performance of bilingual and monolingual fourth grade students based on international studies PIRLS reading literacy development. Bilingualism Conference 1389; Tabriz