Document Type: Original Articles
Department of Audiology, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Background: Development of auditory differentiation skill plays an imperativerole in the development of speech and language skills of children as well as centralauditory processing. One of the instruments employed in the investigation ofthis skill is auditory differentiation test. The present study was conducted withthe aim of investigating the auditory differentiation skill in normal 7-8 year oldchildren.Methods: The present cross-sectional descriptive study was performed on 200normal girls and boys within the age bracket of 7-8 years with equal numbers ofgenders (100 girls and 100 boys). In order to examine the auditory differentiationskill, the Persian version of Wepman auditory differentiation test was employed.The significance level in this research was considered as P=0.05.Results: The auditory differentiation score according to percentiles of 5 and 95was 38 and 40 among the seven year old group, respectively, while it was 38.05and 40 in the eight year old group, respectively. The mean auditory differentiationscore of the seven year old children was significantly lower than that of the eightyear old children (P=0.04). No significant difference was observed between thetwo genders (P=0.19).Conclusion: According to the results obtained in this research, the auditorydifferentiation score was significantly different between the seven and eight yearold groups, but no significant difference was observed between boys and girls.
- Dsouza JM, Aravind LR. Auditory Discrimination Tests in KonkaniâPerformance of Children (6-9 Years) in Quiet and Noisy Conditions. Language in India. 2016;16(4).
- Sussman E, Wong R, Horvath J, Winkler I, Wang W. The development of the perceptual organization of sound by frequency separation in 5â11-year-old children. Hearing Research. 2007;225(1):117-27.
- Hoff E. Language Development. 148-152. tE, editor2009.
- Ting H, Yunus J, Nordin MM, editors. Assessing auditory discrimination skill of Malay children using computer-based method. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2005 IEEE-EMBS 2005 27th Annual International Conference of the; 2006: IEEE.
- Alpiner JG, McCarthy PA. Rehabilitative audiology: Children and adults: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2000.
- Brancalioni AR, Bertagnolli APC, Bonini JB, Gubiani MB, Keske-Soares M. The relation between auditory discrimination and phonological disorder. Jornal da sociedade brasileira de fonoaudiologia. 2012;24(2):157-61.
- Wormith S, Pankhurst D, Moffitt A. Frequency discrimination by young infants. Child Development. 1975:272-5.
- Marquardt TP, Saxman JH. Language comprehension and auditory discrimination in articulation deficient kindergarten children. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. 1972;15(2):382-9.
- Schaadt G, MÃ¤nnel C, van der Meer E, Pannekamp A, Oberecker R, Friederici AD. Present and past: Can writing abilities in school children be associated with their auditory discrimination capacities in infancy? Research in developmental disabilities. 2015;47:318-33.
- Jansson-Verkasalo E, Ceponiene R, Kielinen M, Suominen K, JÃ¤ntti V, Linna S-L, et al. Deficient auditory processing in children with Asperger Syndrome, as indexed by event-related potentials. Neuroscience letters. 2003;338(3):197-200.
- Baharanchi SA, MohammadBeigi M, Abnavi F, Tavakol S. Design and Implementation of a Tactile Stimulation Device to Increase Auditory Discrimination. IEEE Transactions on Haptics. 2017.
- Lanzetta-Valdo BP, de Oliveira GA, Ferreira JTC, Palacios EMN. Auditory Processing Assessment in Children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: An Open Study Examining Methylphenidate Effects. International archives of otorhinolaryngology. 2017;21(01):72-8.
- Ehrlich CH, Shapiro E, Kimball BD, Huttner M. Communication skills in five-year-old children with high-risk neonatal histories. Journal of speech and hearing research. 1973;16(3):522-9.
- Bakhtiyari J DH, Khatoonabadi AR, Ghorbani R. Survey of auditory discrimination skill in 4-6 years old children
- in Semnan city. Journal of Modern Rehabilitation 2012;6(No.2):37-41.
- Seyf Naraghi MN, E Learning disabilities Tehran Amirkabir Publisher. 1995.
- Sinnott JM, Aslin RN. Frequency and intensity discrimination in human infants and adults. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. 1985;78(6):1986-92.
- Webb W, RK A, RL L. Neurology For Speech Language Pathologist2008.
- McAdams S, Bertoncini J. Organization and discrimination of repeating sound sequences by newborn infants. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. 1997;102(5):2945-53.
- Novitski N, Huotilainen M, Tervaniemi M, NÃ¤Ã¤tÃ¤nen R, Fellman V. Neonatal frequency discrimination in 250â4000-Hz range: Electrophysiological evidence. Clinical Neurophysiology. 2007;118(2):412-9.
- Maxon AB, Hochberg I. Development of psychoacoustic behavior: Sensitivity and discrimination. Ear and Hearing. 1982;3(6):301-8.
- Olsho LW. Infant frequency discrimination. Infant behavior and development. 1984;7(1):27-35.
- Moore DR, Ferguson MA, Halliday LF, Riley A. Frequency discrimination in children: Perception, learning and attention. Hearing research. 2008;238(1):147-54.
- Aslin RN, Smith LB. Perceptual development. Annual review of psychology. 1988;39(1):435-73.
- Cacace AT, McFarland DJ, Ouimet JR, Schrieber EJ, Marro P. Temporal processing deficits in remediation-resistant reading-impaired children. Audiol Neurootol. 2000 Mar-Apr;5(2):83-97.
- Jensen JK, Neff DL. Development of basic auditory discrimination in preschool children. Psychological Science. 1993;4(2):104-7.
- Sussman JE. Perception of formant transition cues to place of articulation in children with language impairments. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. 1993;36(6):1286-99.
- Benasich AA, Tallal P. Infant discrimination of rapid auditory cues predicts later language impairment. Behavioural brain research. 2002;136(1):31-49.
- PeÃ±a-Brooks A, Hegde MN. Assessment and treatment of articulation and phonological disorders in children: A dual-level text: Pro-Ed; 2007.
- Association AS-L-H. Central auditory processing: Current status of research and implications for clinical practice. 1996.