Document Type : Case Report
Tehran University of Medical Sciences
Introduction:Nowadays the use of music therapy for neurological disorders in developed countries is widely emphasized. Despite this, there is little scientific evidence regarding the use of this method for the treatment of Iranian patients with stroke. Case report: Since Iranian patients are more familiar with Persian music,this study was performed to describe the effects of listening to the Persian music played with Daf (an Iranian music instrument) in a 54-year-old man with chronic stroke.Discussion: This case report could show for the first time, the positive effect of passive listening to Persian music with Iranian Daf instrument on the hand dexterity and depression in a patient with chronic stroke.
- Gritsenko V, Prochazka A. A functional electric stimulationâassisted exercise therapy system for hemiplegic hand function. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2004; 85: 881-5.
- EastwoodMR,Rifat SL,Nobbs,H and Ruder man J. Mood disorder following cerebrovascular accident .The British Journal of Psychiatry 1989; 154: 195-200.
- McCaffrey B, Locsin RC. Music Listening as a Nursing Intervention: A Symphony of Practice. Holist NursPract 2002; 16 (3): 70-77.
- Forsblom A, Laitinen S, Sarkamo T, Tervaniemi M. Therapeutic Role of Music Listening in Stroke Rehabilitation. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 2009; 1169: 426-430.
- Purdie H and Baldwin S.Models of music therapy intervention in stroke rehabilitation. International Journal of Rehabilitation Research 1995; 18:341-50.
- Trappe HJ.Role of music in intensive care medicine.In J Crit Illness Injure Sci. 2012; 2(1):27â31.
- Raglio A, Bellelli G, Mazzola P, Bellandi D, Giovagnoli AR, Farina E, et al. Music, music therapy and dementia: a review of literature and the recommendations of the Italian Psychogeriatric Association. Maturitas.2012; 72(4):305â10.
- McDermott O,Crellin N, Ridder HM, Orrell M. Music therapy in dementia: a narrative synthesis systematic review. Int J Ger Psych. 2013; 28(8):781-94.
- Gutgsell KJ, Schluchter M, Margevicius S, Degolia PA, McLaughlin B, Harris M, et al. Music Therapy Reduces Pain in Palliative Care Patients: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Pain SymptManag.2013; 45(5):822-31.
- Purdie H, Hamilton S and Baldwin S. Music Therapy: facilitating behavioral and psychological change in people with stroke-a pilot study, 1997
- Antic S, GalinovicI, Lovrendic-HuzjanA, VukovicV, Jurasic MJ and DemarinV.Music as an auditory stimulus in stroke patients.CollegiumAntropologicum, 2008, 32Suppl 1:19-23.
- Aldridge D. An overview of music therapy research .Complementary Therapies in Medicine, 1994, 2:204-216.
- BonakdarpourB,Eftekharzadeh A, AshayeriH.Preliminary report on the effects of melodic intonation therapy in the rehabilitation of Persian aphasic patients.Int J Med Sci 2000, 2(3&4):156-160.
- Lahav A, Saltzman E, Schlaug G. Action representation of sound: audio motor recognition network while listening to newly acquired actions. J Neuroscience 2007; 27:308-314
- DesrosiersJ; Rochette A; Hebert R and Bravo G. The Minnesota Manual Dexterity Test: Reliability, Validity and Reference Values Studies with Healthy Elderly People. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 1997, 64(5):270-76 .
- Beck AT, Steer R &Garbin MG. Psychometric properties of beck depression inventory, twenty five years evaluation. ClinPsych Review 1968; 18:77-100.
- Saddock B. Assessment methods in psychiatry. In: SaddockB, Sadock L Comprehensive textbook of psychiatry. 12th ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; 2000: 769.
- Craighead WE and Nemeroff CB. The Concise Corcini Encyclopedia of Psychology and Behavioral Science.3th edition, NewJersy: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.2004, 104.
- CofrancescoEM.Theeffect of music therapy on hand grasp strength and functional task performance in stroke patients. Journal of Music Therapy; 1985, 22:129-45
- Sadeghi S,Kazemi B,Jazayeri âShooshtari SM,BidariA andJafari P. A high prevalence of cumulative trauma disorders in Iranian instrumentalists.BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 2004, 5:35.
- Altenmuller E, Marco-pallares J, Munte TF, Schneider S. Neural Reorganization Underlies Improvement in Stroke-induced Motor Dysfunction by Music-supported Therapy. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci 2009; 1169: 395-405.
- Bangert M, Peschel T, Schlaug G, Rotte M, Drescher D, Hinrichs H, Heinze HJ, Altenmuller E. Shared networks for auditory and motor processing in professional pianists: Evidence from fMRI conjunction. NeuroImage 2006; 30: 917-926.
- PopescuM, Otsuka A, and Ioannides AA. Dynamics of brain activity in motor and frontal cortical areas during music listening: a magneto encephalographic study. NeuroImage, 2004, 21: 1622â1638
- Chen JL, PenhuneVB, Zatorre RJ. Listening to musical rhythms recruits motor regions of the brain. Cerebral Cortex 2008; 18:2844-2854.
- Ayotte J,PeretzI, Rousseau I, Bard C, Bojanowski M.Patterns of music agnosia associated with middle cerebral artery infarcts. Brain 2000; 123:1926-38.
- Sarkamo T, Tervaniemi M, Laitinen S, Forsblom A, Soinila S, Mikkonen M, Autti T, Silvennoinen HM, Erkkila J, Laine M, Peretz I, Hietanen M. Music listening enhances cognitive recovery and mood after middle cerebral artery stroke. Brain 2008; 131, 866-876.