Document Type: Original Articles
Department of Occupational Therapy, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Graduated in Occupational Therapy Department, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz
assistant ,physiatrist department, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences ,Iran
Background:Carpal tunnel syndrome is the most prevalent compression neuropathy of upper extremity which, two of the most important risk factors of that are the female sex and manual works. In the model of international classification of function, disability and health, disease is an impairment, results in functional limitation. The goal of this study is to compare hand function of participants between various severities of carpal tunnel syndrome.Methods: In a cross-sectional study, during 6 months period of time, 30 housekeeper women with carpal tunnel syndrome, with the mean age of 47.03 years, were selected through simple sampling. They were assessed for hand function, by Purdue peg board test and Boston questionnaire, after that a professional practitioner had performed Nerve Conductive Velocity (NCV) test and identified the severity of their diseases. Then the data were analyzed with SPSS software, by Kruskal-Wallis test.Results: The mean of Purdue peg board test and Boston questionnaire scores in various clusters of carpal tunnel syndrome severity, were not different (P.Value>0.05).Conclusion: In this research, severity of electrodiagnostic findings of participants, with carpal tunnel syndrome, isnot related to their performance and functional limitations.
- Pendleton HM, Schultz-krohn W. The occupational therapy practice framework and the practice of occupational therapy for paople with physical disabilities. In: Pendleton HM, Schultz-krohn W, editors. Pedretti's occupational therapy: practice skills forphysical dysfunction. 6th ed. ST Louis: Mosby; 2006. p. 5.
- Radomski VM, Trombly Latham CA. Occupational therapy for physical dysfuction. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008.
- Guccione AA. Physical therapy diagnosis and the relationship between impairments and function. Physical Therapy1991;71(7):499-503.
- Johnston M. Models of disability. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice 1996;12(3):131-41.
- Manktelow RT, Binhammer P, Tomat LR, Bril V, Szalai JP. Carpal tunnel syndrome: cross-sectional and outcome study in Ontario workers. The Journal of hand surgery 2004;29(2):307-17.
- Pollard B, Johnston M, Dieppe P. Exploring the relationships between International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health)ICF) constructs of Impairment, Activity Limitation and Participation Restriction in people with osteoarthritis prior to joint replacement. BMC musculoskeletal disorders 2011;12(1):97.
- Lowe W. Suggested variations on standard carpal tunnel syndrome assessment tests. Journal of bodywork and movement therapies 2008;12(2):151-7.
- Flinn SR, Pease WS, Freimer ML. Characteristic of Physical and Functional Variables by CTS Severity. Journal of Hand Therapy 2010;23(4):e1-e2.
- Hubbard MC, MacDermid JC, Kramer JF, Birmingham TB. Quantitative vibration threshold testing in carpal tunnel syndrome: analysis strategies for optimizing reliability. Journal of Hand Therapy 2004;17(1):24-30.
- Nora DB, Becker J, Ehlers JA, Gomes I. What symptoms are truly caused by median nerve compression in carpal tunnel syndrome? Clinical neurophysiology 2005;116(2):275-83.
- Tavakolli P, Shahvali N. Prevalence of CTS and GTS and Its Related Risk Factors in 83-84 Years. shiraz: Shiraz University Of Medical Sciences; 1384.
- Trachter R, Brouwer B, Faris M, McLean L. Performance on a manual tracking task differentiates individuals at risk of developing carpal tunnel syndrome from those not at risk. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology 2011;21(6):998-1003.
- Aghamohammadi-Kalkhoran M, Rostaminejad M, AfzaliFard H. Risk factors for carpal tunnel syndrome: A case-control study. Oloome Pirapezeshki Va Tavanbakhshi Mashhad 1392;2(2):49-52.
- Abdolvahab M. A study of the ergonomics carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). Modern Rehabilitation 2007;1(1).
- Elahi B. Anatomi andam foghani, tahtani, mafasel. 13th ed. Tehran: Jeihun; 1379.
- MacDermid JC, Wessel J. Clinical diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome: a systematic review. Journal of Hand Therapy 2004;17(2):309-19.
- Su C-Y, Liang W-L, Chen-Sea M-J, Liu C-W, Huang M-H, Lai Y-C. Physician Practices in the Diagnosis of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome at a Medical Center in Southern Taiwan. The Kaohsiung Journal of Medical Sciences 2004;20(3):106-14.
- You H, Simmons Z, Freivalds A, Kothari MJ, Naidu SH. Relationships between clinical symptom severity scales and nerve conduction measures in carpal tunnel syndrome. Muscle & nerve 1999;22(4):497-501.
- Padua L, Padua R, Monaco ML, Aprile I, Tonali P, Group ICS. Multiperspective assessment of carpal tunnel syndrome A multicenter study. Neurology 1999;53(8):1654.
- Chan L, Turner JA, Comstock BA, Levenson LM, Hollingworth W, Heagerty PJ, et al. The relationship between electrodiagnostic findings and patient symptoms and function in carpal tunnel syndrome. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2007;88(1):19-24.
- Hadyanfard M. Physical medicine and rehabilitation for medical students. 1st ed. Shiraz: Shiraz university of medical sciences publication.
- Ali Z. Clinical and Electro-Diagnostic Quantification of the Severity of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Ann Pak Inst Med Sci 2012;8(4):207-12.
- Hadian Fard M. Rehabilitation Medicine For Medicine Students. . 1 ed. Shiraz: Shiraz University of Medical Science publisher; 2001.
- Meirelles LM, Santos JBGd, Santos LLd, Branco MA, Faloppa F, Leite VM, et al. Evaluation of Boston questionnaire applied at late pos-operative period of carpal tunnel syndrome operated with the paine retinaculatome through palmar port. Acta Ortopedica Brasileira 2006;14(3):126-32.
- Galasso O, Mariconda M, Donato G, Di Mizio G, Padua L, Brando A, et al. Histopathological, clinical, and electrophysiological features influencing postoperative outcomes in carpal tunnel syndrome. Journal of Orthopaedic Research 2011; 29(8) .1298-1304.
- Jette AM. Toward a common language for function, disability, and health. Physical therapy 2006;86(5):726-34.
- Flinn SR, Pease WS, Freimer ML. Score reliability and construct validity of the Flinn Performance Screening Tool for adults with symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. Am J Occup Ther 2012;66(3):330-7.
- Horng Y-S, Hwang Y-H, Wu H-C, Liang H-W, Mhe YJ, Twu F-C, et al. Predicting health-related quality of life in patients with low back pain. Spine 2005;30(5):551-5.
- Sambandam SN, Priyanka P, Gul A, Ilango B. Critical analysis of outcome measures used in the assessment of carpal tunnel syndrome. International orthopaedics 2008;32(4):497-504.
- LundstrÃ¶m R, Nilsson T, Hagberg M, BurstrÃ¶m L. Grading of sensorineural disturbances according to a modified Stockholm workshop scale using self-reports and QST. International archives of occupational and environmental health 2008;81(5):553-7.
- Rui F, DâAgostin F, Negro C, Bovenzi M. A prospective cohort study of manipulative dexterity in vibration-exposed workers. International archives of occupational and environmental health 2008;81(5):545-51.
- Sezgin M, Incel NA, Sevim S, Camdeviren H, As I, ErdoGan C. Assessment of symptom severity and functional status in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome: reliability and validity of the Turkish version of the Boston Questionnaire. Disability & Rehabilitation 2006;28(20):1281-1286