Document Type : Original Articles
Department of Speech Therapy, Rehabilitation School, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
No.346, Laale st., Tahvili cross, Shiraz
Background: Since most clinical treatments of Persian children’s language impairments are based on either the therapist, clinicians’ experiences (mostly), or English language norms (sometimes), comparing two minor indices of speech quality, namely “mean Length of Utterance” (MLU) and “mean length of five phrasal utterances” (MLFPU) between different age groups of children, would be unequivocally efficient to help diagnose and treat Farsi-Speaking Children with language impairments.Methods: To compare the two mentioned indices of 2 to 5-year-old normal Farsi-speaking children, the speech samples of 500 children were scrutinized by elicitation, transcription, and statistically analyzing their language samples.Results: The net results prove that as the children’s ages grow from 2 to 5, the two mentioned indices increase and extend as well.Conclusion: The influence of chronological age on the indices varies, regarding the type of language samples. Hence, the analysis of speech quality indices in assessment of children’s language ability has to be performed based on the language sampling methods.
- Dunn M., Flax J, Sliwinski M, Aram D. The use of spontaneous
- language measures as criteria for identifying children with
- specific language impairment: an attempt to reconcile clinical
- and research incongruence. Journal of Speech Hear Research,
- ; 39(3): 643-54.
- Evans JL, Craig HK, Language sample collection and analysis:
- interview compared to free play assessment contexts. Journal of
- Speech Hear Research, 1992; 35(2): 343-53.
- Evans JL, MillerJ. Language sample analysis in the 21st century
- Semin Speech Lang, 1999, 20(2): 101-15.
- Southwood F, Russell AF. Comparison of conversation, freeplay,
- and story generation as methods of language sample elicitation.
- Journal of Speech Hear Research, 2004; 47(2): 366-76.
- Klee T, Stokes SF, Wong AM, Fletcher P, Gavin WJ. Utterance
- length and lexical diversity in Cantonese-speaking children with
- and without specific language impairment. Journal of Speech
- Hear Research, 2004; 47(6): 1396-410.
- Nilipour R. The concrete indices of speech quality assessment.
- Journal of linguistics 1992; 9(1): 40-50.
- Golpur, L., Nilipour, R., Roshan, B. A comparison between
- morphological and syntactic features of 4 to 5 years old in
- education severe to profound hearing impaired and normal
- children, 2007; 26 (2): 23-29.
- Miller J.F, Chapman R.S. The relation between age and mean
- length of utterance in morphemes. Journal of Speech Hear
- Research, 1981; 24:154-61.
- Heiwitt L., Scheffner H.C., Yont K.M., Tomblin J.B. Language
- Sampling for Kindergarten Children With and Without SLI: Mean
- Length of Utterance, IPSYN, NDW. Journal of Communication
- Disorders 38 (2005); 197-213.
- Williamson, G. Mean Length of Utterance (MLU), Journal of
- Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 2009, 31: 1027â1050.
- Oryadi Z.M., Mahmoodi, B.B., Vahab, M., Jafari, S. Efficiency
- of picture description and storytelling methods in language
- sampling, according to the mean length of utterance index. Journal
- of Audiology, 2012, 21(3):18-23.
- Jalilevand, N., Ebrahimipur, M., Purqarib , J. Mean length of
- utterance and grammatical morphemes in speech of two Farsispeaking
- children. Journal of Audiology, 2012, 21(2): 96-108,
- Tehran University of Medical Science
- Oryadi Z.M. and Ghorbani R.. Study of speech quality indices in
- -5 year old Farsi-speaking normal children in cities of Semnan,
- Bijand and Tonekabon. Journal of Medical Science and Healing
- and Health Services of Mazandaran University, 2005; 15(50):
- Bowen C. Brown R. the development of morphology and syntax.
- Available from URL: http://members.tripod.com/ Caroline_
- Chengappa Sh, Bhat S, Hiwarale J. Mean length of utterance and
- syntactic complexity in the speech of mentally retarded. Language
- in India [serial online] 2002 Available from URL: http://www.
- languageinindia.com/ sep2002/index.html.
- Blake J, Quartaro G, Onorati S. Evaluating quantitative measures
- of grammatical complexity in spontaneous speech samples.
- Journal of Child Language, 1993; 20(1): 139-52. K
- Klee T, Schaffer M, May S, Memmbrino I, Mougey K, A
- comparison of the age-MLU relation in normal and specifically
- language-impaired preschool children. J Speech Hear Disordering
- ; 54:226-33.