Document Type: Case Report
Assistant Professor, Department of Physiotherapy, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran.
Department of Physiotherapy, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran.
Background: ALS is the most devastating form of motor neuron disease, and the chance of survival is 3 to 5 years after the diagnosis is made. The pathogenesis of the disease is unknown. Several upper and lower motor neuron symptoms such as weakness, gait bradykinesia, and muscle atrophy have been reported. The core muscles are considered to be the center of the functional kinetic chain due to the links with upper and lower limbs.Methods: The patient in this case study was a 42 year-old woman suffering from ALSfor two years prior to the study. She had typical upper and lower motor symptoms, but her chief complaints were inability to walk, standing balance impairment, and a tendency to fall posteriorly. She performed core stabilization exercises, which were done three times per day. She was followed for three months.Results: Core stabilization exercises improved her quality of life, and she could walk independently after three months of exercise. In addition, her tendency toward falling posteriorly was completely alleviated.Conclusion: Core stabilization exercises were beneficial to the patient, and she was satisfied because her quality of life had improved.
- Okado-Matsumoto A, Fridovich I. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a proposed mechanism. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2002;99(13):9010-4.
- Sreedharan J, Blair IP, Tripathi VB, Hu X, Vance C, Rogelj B, et al. TDP-43 mutations in familial and sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Science. 2008;319(5870):1668-72.
- Bensimon G, Lacomblez L, Meininger V. A controlled trial of riluzole in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. New England Journal of Medicine. 1994;330(9):585-91.
- Mitchell JD, Borasio GD. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. The lancet. 2007;369(9578):2031-41.
- Ganzini L, Johnston WS, McFarland BH, Tolle SW, Lee MA. Attitudes of patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and their care givers toward assisted suicide. New England Journal of Medicine. 1998;339(14):967-73.
- Rowland LP, Shneider NA. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. New England Journal of Medicine. 2001;344(22):1688-700.
- Hausdorff JM, Lertratanakul A, Cudkowicz ME, Peterson AL, Kaliton D, Goldberger AL. Dynamic markers of altered gait rhythm in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Journal of applied physiology. 2000;88(6):2045-53.
- Wijesekera LC, Leigh PN. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Orphanet journal of rare diseases. 2009;4(1):3.
- Kirkinezos IG, Hernandez D, Bradley WG, Moraes CT. Regular exercise is beneficial to a mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Annals of neurology. 2003;53(6):804-7.
- Drory VE, Goltsman E, Goldman Reznik J, Mosek A, Korczyn AD. The value of muscle exercise in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Journal of the neurological sciences. 2001;191(1):133-7.
- Tan S, Cao L, Schoenfisch W, Wang J. Investigation of Core Muscle Function through Electromyography Activities in Healthy Young Men. Journal of Exercise Physiology Online. 2013;16(1).
- Yeung KT. THE VALIDITY OF MODIFIED PLANK TEST IN ASSESSING CORE MUSCLE FUNCTION IN MALE UNIVERSITY STUDENTS. P; 2011.
- Borghuis AJ, Lemmink K, Hof AL. Core muscle response times and postural reactions in soccer players and nonplayers. Medicine and science in sports and exercise. 2011;43(1):108-14.
- Tarnanen SP, Siekkinen KM, HÃ¤kkinen AH, MÃ¤lkiÃ¤ EA, Kautiainen HJ, Ylinen JJ. Core muscle activation during dynamic upper limb exercises in women. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2012;26(12):3217-24.
- McGill S. Core training: Evidence translating to better performance and injury prevention. Strength & Conditioning Journal. 2010;32(3):33-46.
- Robson LS, Stephenson CM, Schulte PA, Amick III BC, Irvin EL, Eggerth DE, et al. A systematic review of the effectiveness of occupational health and safety training. Scandinavian journal of work, environment & health. 2012;38(3).
- Majmudar S, Wu J, Paganoni S. Rehabilitation in ALS: Why it matters. Muscle & nerve. 2014.
- Johnson J. Functional Rehabilitation of Low Back Pain With Core Stabilizations Exercises: Suggestions for Exercises and Progressions in Athletes. 2012.