Document Type : Original Articles
Background and objectives: The complications associated with spastic cerebral palsy can affect the physical ability and quality of life of individuals suffering from this motor disorder. The aim of this study was to assess the relationship between quality of life and hypertonia in adults with spastic cerebral palsy.Methods: In an analytical cross sectional study, 70 subjects with the diagnosis of spastic cerebral palsy from three Ra'ad Rehabilitation Goodwill complexes in Tehran and Karaj cities took part in this study through convenient sampling. The severity of spasticity and contracture of the knee flexors were measured by Modified Tardieu Scale. Also the quality of life was assessed through World Health Organization quality of life-BREF questionnaire. To analyze data, Pearson and spearman correlation coefficient were used.Results: Participants of this study were 42.9% male, 57.1% female with mean age 26.24± 5 years. No correlation existed between quality of life with knee flexor muscles spasticity. However, psychological and environmental domains showed low correlations with knee extension range (respectively r=0.26 and r=0.28; p< 0.05)Conclusion: The influences of the mechanical component of hypertonia (contracture) on the quality of life are more prominent than neural factors such as spasticity.
- Svien LR, Berg P, Stephenson C. Issues in aging with cerebral palsy. Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation 2008;24(1):40-26
- Stanley F, Blair E, Alberman E. How common are the cerebral palsies. Cerebral Palsies: Epidemiology and Causal Pathways Clinics in Developmental Medicine 2000.22â39.
- Roebroeck ME, Jahnsen R, Carona C, Kent RM, Chamberlain MA. Adult outcomes and lifespan issues for people with childhood onset physical disability. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology 2009;5 (8):670-8.
- Rapp Jr CE, Torres MM. The adult with cerebral palsy. Archives of family medicine 2000;9(5):472-466
- Rang M SR, de la Garaz J. cerebral palsy. In : orthopaedics 1986.
- Young RR. spasticty: a review. Neurology 1994;44(suppl 9):512-20.
- Michelsen SI, Uldall P, Kejs AMT, Madsen M. Education and employment prospects in cerebral palsy. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology 2005;4 (8):511-7.
- Opheim A, Jahnsen R, Olsson E, Stanghelle JK. Physical and Mental Components of Health-Related Quality of Life and Musculoskeletal Pain Sites Over Seven Years in Adults with Spastic Cerebral Palsy. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine 2011;43(5):382-7.
- Andersson C, Mattsson E. Adults with cerebral palsy: a survey describing problems, needs, and resources, with special emphasis on locomotion. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology 2001;43(2):76-82.
- Jahnsen R, Villien L, Egeland T, Stanghelle J. Locomotion skills in adults with cerebral palsy. Clinical rehabilitation 2004;18(3):309-16.
- Sandstrom K AJ, Oberg B. Description of functioning and health and relation to a gross motor classification in adults with cerebral palsy. Disabil Rehabil 2004;26:1023 1031.
- Group WHOQOL. The World Health Organization quality of life assessment: Development and general psychometric properties. Social Science & Medicine 1998;46:1569-85.
- Davis E, Waters E, Mackinnon A, Reddihough D, Graham HK, Mehmet-Radji O, et al. Paediatric quality of life instruments: a review of the impact of the conceptual framework on outcomes. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology 2006;48(4):311-8.
- Akodu A, Oluwale O, Adegoke Z, Ahmed U, Akinola T. Relationship between spasticity and health related quality of life in individuals with cerebral palsy. Nigerian quarterly journal of hospital medicine2011; 22(2):99-102.
- Brown R, Brown P, Bayer M. A quality of life model: New challenges resulting from a six year study. in: Good, (Ed), Quality of life for persons with disabilities Cambridge: brookline Book; 1994.39-56.
- Foroughan M, Jafari Z, Shirin BP, Ghaem Magham Faraahani Z, Rahgozar M. Validation of mini-mental state examination (MMSE) in the elderly population of Tehran. Advances in Cognitive Science 2008;10((2)(38)):29-37.
- Folstein MF, Folstein SE, McHugh PR. Mini-mental state: A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician. Journal of psychiatric research 1975;12(3):189-198.
- Oâs Dwyer NJ, Adal L, Neilson PD. Spasticty and muscle contracture following stroke. Brain 1996;(119):1737-49.
- Patrick E, Ada L. The Tardieu Scale differentiates contracture from spasticity whereas the Ashworth Scale is confounded by it. Clinical rehabilitation 2006;20(2):173.
- Nedjat S, Holakouie Naieni K, Mohammad K, Majdzadeh R, Montazeri A. Quality of life among an Iranian general population sample using the World Health Organizationâs quality of life instrument (WHOQOL-BREF). International Journal of Public Health 2010:1-7.
- Group TW. WHOQOL-Bref: introduction, administration, scoring and generic version of the assessment. WHO Geneva; 1996.
- Nedjat S, Montazeri A, Holakouie K, Mohammad K, Majdzadeh R. Psychometric properties of the Iranian interview-administered version of the World Health Organizationâs Quality of Life Questionnaire (WHOQOL-BREF): A population-based study. BMC health services research 2008;8(1):61.
- Yousefy A, Ghassemi G, Sarrafzadegan N, Mallik S, Baghaei A, Rabiei K. Erratum to: Psychometric Properties of the WHOQOLBREF in an Iranian Adult Sample. Community mental health journal 2010;46(2).
- Domholt E. Rehabilitation rsearch. 3 rd end St Louis, MO: Elsevier Saunders; 2005.358.
- Dajpratham P, Kuptniratsaikul V, Kovindha A, Kuptniratsaikul PS, Dejnuntarat K. Prevalence and management of poststroke spasticity in Thai stroke patients: a multicenter study. J Med Assoc Thai 2009;9 (10):1354-60.
- Welmer AK, von Arbin M, Holmqvist LW, Sommerfeld DK. Spasticity and its association with functioning and health-related quality of life 18 months after stroke. Cerebrovascular diseases 2006;21(4):247-53.
- Wiegerink DJHG, Roebroeck ME, Donkervoort M, Cohen-Kettenis PT, Stam HJ. Social, intimate and sexual relationships of adolescents with cerebral palsy compared with able-bodied age-mates. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine 2008;40(2):112-8.