Document Type: Original Articles
Department of Speech and Language Therapy, Faculty of Rehabilitation, Zahedan University of Medical sciences, Zahedan, Iran
Department of Speech and Language Therapy, University of Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Mentor, Kerman Welfare Organization, Kerman, Iran
Department of Speech and Language Therapy, Ali Ibn Abi Talib Hospital, Zahedan University of Medical Sciences, Zahedan, Iran
Speech and Language Pathologist, Zahedan, Iran.
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Zahedan University of Medical Sciences, Zahedan, Iran.
Background: To date, with rapid increase of bilingual children, more attention about different patterns of the bilingual children narratives is needed. The aim of this study was to compare microstructure level of narratives generated by typical developing kindergarten children who were bilingual in Persian and Balochi with monolingual Persian speakers.Method: Thirty Persian-speaking monolingual and thirteen available bilingual children (aged 48 months old) participated in this study. Children’s story telling was audio-recorded and analyzed using the Persian-NAP (Narrative Assessment Protocol) guidelines. Results: All of the NAP indicators include of group structure, phrase structure, modifiers, noun and verbs didn’t show significant difference between monolingual and bilingual children (0.06≤p≤0.5).Conclusion: We didn’t find different performance in the five NAP indicators between bilingual and monolingual children. It may be suggested that the different patterns of creating phrases and sentences in two languages don’t affect the grammatical use of them in second language.
- Justice LM, Bowles R, Pence K, Gosse C. A scalable tool for
- assessing childrenâs language abilities within a narrative context:
- The NAP (Narrative Assessment Protocol). Early Childhood
- Research Quarterly. 2010;25(2):218-34.
- Fivush R, Nelson K. Parentâchild reminiscing locates the
- self in the past. British Journal of Developmental Psychology.
- Wang Q, Fivush R. Motherâchild conversations of emotionally
- salient events: exploring the functions of emotional reminiscing in
- European-American and Chinese families. Social Development.
- Petersen DB, Gillam SL, Gillam RB. Emerging procedures in
- narrative assessment: The Index of Narrative Complexity. Topics
- in Language Disorders. 2008;28(2):115-30.
- Justice LM, Bowles RP, Kaderavek JN, Ukrainetz TA, Eisenberg
- SL, Gillam RB. The index of narrative microstructure: A
- clinical tool for analyzing school-age childrenâs narrative
- performances. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology.
- Melzi G, Schick A, Bostwick E. Latino childrenâs narrative
- competencies over the preschool years. Actualidades en
- psicologia. 2013;27(115).
- Gutierrez-Clellen VF. Narratives in two languages: Assessing
- performance of bilingual children. Linguistics and Education.
- Gagarina N, Klop D, Kunnari S, Tantele K, VÃ¤limaa T, BalÄiÅ«nienÄ
- I, et al. MAIN: Multilingual assessment instrument for narratives:
- Zentrum fÃ¼r Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft; 2012.
- Minami M. Culture-specific language styles: The development of
- oral narrative and literacy: Multilingual Matters; 2002.
- Nakhshab M, Arabpour M, Kazemi Y. Narrative assessment
- methods in children: a systematic review. J Res Rehabil Sci.
- ;10 (5):704-19.
- Paul R, Norbury C. Language Disorders from Infancy Through
- Adolescence-E-Book: Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing,
- and Communicating: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2012.
- Han JJ, Leichtman MD, Wang Q. Autobiographical memory
- in Korean, Chinese, and American children. Developmental
- psychology. 1998;34(4):701.
- Minami M, McCabe A. Rice balls and bear hunts: Japanese and
- North American family narrative patterns. Journal of Child
- Language. 1995;22(2):423-45.
- Minami M. Telling good stories in different languages: Bilingual
- childrenâs styles of story construction and their linguistic and
- educational implications. Narrative Inquiry. 2008;18(1):83-110.
- Cauz J. Iran Languages EncyclopÃ¦dia Britannica, Inc.; 2017
- /20/2017]. Available from: https://www.britannica.com/place/
- Thompson I. Balochi washington: The Technology
- Development Group; 2016 [8/20/2017]. Available from: http://
- languages in Iran Shiraz, Iran: Iran Traveling Center; 2015
- /20/2017]. Available from: http://www.irantravelingcenter.
- Gardner-Neblett N, Pungello EP, Iruka IU. Oral narrative skills:
- Implications for the reading development of African American
- children. Child Development Perspectives. 2012;6(3):218-24.
- Qasemi M, Nakhshab M, Alineghad B, Shafiei M, Tazhibi M.
- Description of particular language structures in normal 4-yearoldsâ
- narrations and their sex-related differences according
- to Narrative Assessment Protocol (NAP). J Res Rehabil Sci.
- F S. Shangul va Mangul va Habe Angur. Tehran: Miamin; 2011.
- Montrul S, Potowski K. Command of gender agreement in schoolage
- Spanish-English bilingual children. International Journal of
- Bilingualism. 2007;11(3):301-28.
- Iluz-Cohen P, Walters J. Telling stories in two languages:
- Narratives of bilingual preschool children with typical and
- impaired language. Bilingualism 2012 15(1):58-74.
- Gutierrez-Clellen V, Simon-Cereijido G, WAGNER C.
- Bilingual children with language impairment: A comparison
- with monolinguals and second language learners. Applied
- Psycholinguistics, Cambridge University Press. 2008;29(1):3â19.
- Cleave PL, Girolametto LE, Chen X, Johnson CJ. Narrative
- abilities in monolingual and dual language learning children
- with specific language impairment. Journal of Communication
- Disorders. 2010;43(6):511-22.
- Gutierrez-Clellen VF, Simon-Cereijido G, Erickson Leone
- A. Code-switching in bilingual children with specific
- language impairment. International Journal of Bilingualism.
- Rezzonico S, Goldberg A, Mak KK-Y, Yap S, Milburn T, Belletti
- A, et al. Narratives in Two Languages: Storytelling of Bilingual
- CantoneseâEnglish Preschoolers. Journal of Speech, Language,
- and Hearing Research. 2016;59(3):521-32.
- Hipfner-Boucher K, Milburn T, Weitzman E, Greenberg J,
- Pelletier J, Girolametto L. Narrative abilities in subgroups of
- English language learners and monolingual peers. International
- Journal of Bilingualism. 2015;19(6):677-92.
- Uccelli P, Paez MM. Narrative and vocabulary development
- of bilingual children from kindergarten to first grade:
- Developmental changes and associations among English and
- Spanish skills. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in
- Schools. 2007;38(3):225-36.