Document Type : Original Articles
Department of Audiology, School of Rehabilitation, Hamadan University of Medical Sciences, Hamadan, Iran
Department of Audiology, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran.
Department of Audiology, School of Rehabilitation, Hamadan University of Medical Sciences, Hamadan, Iran.
Department of Audiology, School of Rehabilitation, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background: Sound localization is a valuable skill whose maturation is influenced by auditory experience and is limited by bilateral sensorineural hearing loss. No study has assessed auditory localization in bilateral hearing-impaired children (BHIC) aged 5-6 years. The present study aimed to investigate the auditory localization skill in children with moderate-to-severe bilateral hearing loss and using hearing aids compared to their normally hearing peers.
Methods: This cross-sectional study recruited 19 participants aged 5-6 years (60-72 months) with a mean age of 65.31± 3.83 months as the BHIC group and 21 participants aged 5-6 years with a mean age of 60.21±3.02 months as the normally hearing children (NHC) group. The localization ability of both groups was tested in 24 positions with 15-degree intervals by a speaker connected to a laptop and a calibrated speech stimulus named "test." A score of +0.5 for each 15 degrees of error on the right side of the position and -0.5 on the left side of the position were considered.
Results: The results revealed a significant difference in the error rates between the two groups in four (out of 24) positions (p<0.05). Differences were not statistically significant in other positions.
Conclusion: The BHIC had a defect in the localization skill in some situations. Therefore, localization test and localization training are recommended for these children.
- Cusack R, Decks J, Aikman G, Carlyon RP. Effects of location, frequency region, and time course of selective attention on auditory scene analysis. Journal of experimental psychology: human perception and performance. 2004;30(4):643.
- Zhong X, Yost WA. How many images are in an auditory scene? The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. 2017;141(4):2882-92.
- Van den Bogaert T, Carette E, Wouters J, editors. Sound localization with and without hearing aids. NAG-DAGA International Conference on Acoustics; 2009.
- Van den Bogaert T, Klasen TJ, Moonen M, Van Deun L, Wouters J. Horizontal localization with bilateral hearing aids: Without is better than with. The journal of the acoustical society of America. 2006;119(1):515-26.
- Giard M-H, Fort A, Mouchetant-Rostaing Y, Pernier J. Neurophysiological mechanisms of auditory selective attention in humans. Frontiers in bioscience. 2000;5(1):84-94.
- Killan CF, Harman S, Killan EC. Changes in sound-source localization for children with bilateral severe to profound hearing loss following simultaneous bilateral cochlear implantation. Cochlear implants international. 2018;19(5):284-91.
- Byrne D, Noble W, LePage B. Effects of long-term bilateral and unilateral fitting of different hearing aid types on the ability to locate sounds. J Am Acad Audiol. 1992;3(6):369-82.
- Matthews N, Todd J, Budd TW, Cooper G, Michie PT. Auditory lateralization in schizophrenia–mismatch negativity and behavioral evidence of a selective impairment in encoding interaural time cues. Clinical Neurophysiology. 2007;118(4):833-44.
- Meyer A, Pawłowski P, Dąbrowski A, Loba W, Hojan-Jezierska D, Kubisz L, editors. Interactive virtual sound source for auditory localization tests. 2018 Baltic URSI Symposium (URSI); 2018: IEEE.
- Lotfi Y, Dastgerdi ZH, Moossavi A, Mehrkian S, Bakhshi E. Evaluation of auditory lateralization ability and its development in normal children with 8 to 11 years of age. Audiology. 2014;23(4).
- van der Heijden K, Rauschecker JP, de Gelder B, Formisano E. Cortical mechanisms of spatial hearing. Nature Reviews Neuroscience. 2019;20(10):609-23.
- Wiggins IM, Seeber BU. Effects of dynamic-range compression on the spatial attributes of sounds in normal-hearing listeners. Ear and hearing. 2012;33(3):399-410.
- Meuret S, Ludwig AA, Predel D, Staske B, Fuchs M. Localization and spatial discrimination in children and adolescents with moderate sensorineural hearing loss tested without their hearing aids. Audiology and Neurotology. 2017;22(6):326-42.
- Van den Bogaert T, Carette E, Wouters J. Sound source localization using hearing aids with microphones placed behind-the-ear, in-the-canal, and in-the-pinna. International Journal of Audiology. 2011;50(3):164-76.
- Johnstone PM, Náblek AK, Robertson VS. Sound localization acuity in children with unilateral hearing loss who wear a hearing aid in the impaired ear. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology. 2010;21(8):522-34.
- Firszt JB, Reeder RM, Dwyer NY, Burton H, Holden LK. Localization training results in individuals with unilateral severe to profound hearing loss. Hearing research. 2015;319:48-55.
- Asp F, Jakobsson A-M, Berninger E. The effect of simulated unilateral hearing loss on horizontal sound localization accuracy and recognition of speech in spatially separate competing speech. Hearing research. 2018;357:54-63.
- Kumpik DP, King AJ. A review of the effects of unilateral hearing loss on spatial hearing. Hearing research. 2019;372:17-28.
- Meuret S, Berger T, Fuchs M, Ludwig AA. Auditory localisation in hearing impaired schoolchildren with and without hearing aids. Laryngo-Rhino-Otologie. 2020.
- Liu Y-W, Cheng X, Chen B, Peng K, Ishiyama A, Fu Q-J. Effect of tinnitus and duration of deafness on sound localization and speech recognition in noise in patients with single-sided deafness. Trends in hearing. 2018;22:1-14
- Moteki H, Kitoh R, Tsukada K, Iwasaki S, Nishio S-Y, Usami S-I. The advantages of sound localization and speech perception of bilateral electric acoustic stimulation. Acta oto-laryngologica. 2015;135(2):147-53.
- Kerber IS, Seeber IBU. Sound localization in noise by normal-hearing listeners and cochlear implant users. Ear and hearing. 2012;33(4):445.
- Brown GJ, Cooke M. Computational auditory scene analysis. Computer Speech & Language. 1994;8(4):297-336.
- Lee HJ, Lee JM, Na G, Moon YM, Lee C, Jung J. Which patients with a unilateral hearing aid for symmetric sensorineural hearing loss have auditory deprivation? Clinical and Experimental Otorhinolaryngology. 2020;13(1):23.
- Hederstierna C, Hultcrantz M, Collins A, Rosenhall U. Hearing in women at menopause. Prevalence of hearing loss, audiometric configuration and relation to hormone replacement therapy. Acta oto-laryngologica. 2007;127(2):149-55.
- Sarant J, Harris D, Busby P, Maruff P, Schembri A, Lemke U, et al. The effect of hearing aid use on cognition in older adults: can we delay decline or even improve cognitive function? Journal of clinical medicine. 2020;9(1):254.
- Jarollahi F, Alinejad Kashani A, Keyhani M, Kamalvand A. The effects of auditory training by Erber method on improvement of the auditory skills in 3-4 year-old hearing-impaired children. Function and Disability Journal. 2018;1(4):36-44.
- Bettison S. The long-term effects of auditory training on children with autism. Journal of autism and developmental disorders. 1996;26(3):361-74.
- Rubinstein A, Boothroyd A. Effect of two approaches to auditory training on speech recognition by hearing-impaired adults. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. 1987;30(2):153-60.
- Moosavi A, HOSSEINI DZ, Lotfi Y, Mehrkian S, Bakhshi E, KHAVAR GB. Auditory lateralization ability in children with (central) auditory processing disorder. 2014.
- Lotfi Y, Dastgerdi ZH, Farazi M, Moossavi A, Bakhshi E. Auditory temporal processing assessment in children with developmental stuttering. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. 2020;132:109935.
- Moossavi A, Mehrkian S, Gohari N, Nazari MA, Bakhshi E, Alain C. The effect of harmonic training on speech perception in noise in hearing-impaired children. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. 2021;149:110845.
- Katz J. Therapy for auditory processing disorders: simple effective procedures: J. Katz; 2009.
- Gorodensky JH, Alemu RZ, Gill SS, Sandor MT, Papsin BC, Cushing SL, et al. Binaural hearing is impaired in children with hearing loss who use bilateral hearing aids. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. 2019;146(6):4352-62.