Document Type : Original Articles
Department of Speech Therapy, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran.
Rehabilitation Sciences Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Department of Speech Therapy, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Student Research Committee, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Department of Speech Therapy, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Developmental language disorder (DLD) is a common disorder in childhood. The aim of this study was to investigate the performance of Persian-speaking children on sentence repetition task (SRT) as a measure to detect DLD.
As a cross-sectional and observational study, seven 5-to-7-year-old Persian-speaking children with DLD and thirty normal peers were studied using the Persian version of test of language development (TOLD-P: 3) as a diagnostic test and SRT. Finally, the performance of two groups on the SRT was compared by statistical tests at the significance level of 0.05.
The score of SRT between the children suspected to have DLD and their normal peers were significantly different (P<0.05). Indeed, there was a significant difference between the groups in terms of the mean scores of prepositions (P<0.01), conjunctions (P<0.01), plural case (P<0.01), subject-verb agreement (P<0.05), and word order (P<0.05).
The SRT can be used as a promising measure for early detection and intervention of Persian-speaking children with DLD.
- Bishop DVM, Snowling MJ, Thompson PA, Greenhalgh T, and the C-c. Phase 2 of CATALISE: a multinational and multidisciplinary Delphi consensus study of problems with language development: Terminology. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2017;58(10):1068-80.
- Tomblin JB, Records NL, Buckwalter P, Zhang X, Smith E, O'Brien M. Prevalence of specific language impairment in kindergarten children. J Speech Lang Hear Res. 1997;40(6):1245-60.
- Oryadi-Zanjani MM, Vahab M, Rasouli J, Ashkbousi R, Barpoosh N. The Prevalence of Specific Language Impairment in 5-year-old Persian-Speaking Children in Shiraz City of Iran – 2015. Journal of Rehabilitation Sciences and Research. 2015;4:93-6.
- Oryadi-Zanjani MM, Vahab M, Rasouli J, Mohammadi F, Firouzi-Parizi M. The Prevalence of Specific Language Impairment in 6-Year-Old Persian-Speaking Children in Shiraz City, Iran, 2015. Int J School Health. 2016;3(3):e31841.
- Sansavini A, Favilla ME, Guasti MT, Marini A, Millepiedi S, Di Martino MV, et al. Developmental Language Disorder: Early Predictors, Age for the Diagnosis, and Diagnostic Tools. A Scoping Review. Brain Sciences. 2021;11(5):654.
- Engel de Abreu PM, Cruz-Santos A, Puglisi ML. Specific language impairment in language-minority children from low-income families. Int J Lang Commun Disord. 2014;49(6):736-47.
- Oryadi Zanjani MM, Vahab M, Karimi L. Comparing "Mean Length of Utterance" and "Mean Length of Five Phrasal Utterances" between 2-to-5 Year-Old Farsi-Speaking Children. JRSR. 2014;1(3):52-5.
- Ghayoumi-Anaraki Z, Vakili V, Haresabadi F, Majidi Z. The Grammatical Deficits of Persian-Speaking Children with Specific Language Impairment. JRSR. 2017;4(2017):102-8.
- Mohammadi M, Nilipour R, Shirazi TS, Rahgozar M. Semantic differences of definitional skills between persian speaking children with specific language impairment and normal language developing children. jrehab. 2011;12(2):48-55.
- Maleki Shahmahmood T, Soleymani Z, Faghihzade S. The study of language performances of Persian children with specific language impariment. Audiol. 2011;20(2):11-21.
- Stark RE, Tallal P. Selection of children with specific language deficits. J Speech Hear Res. 1981;46(2):114-22.
- Vahab M, Shahim S, Jafari S, Zanjani MMO. The relation between receptive language development and social skills among 4-to-6 year-old Persian-speaking children. JRRS. 2012;8(3):454-65.
- Vahab M, Shahim S, Oryadi-Zanjani MM, Jafari S, Faham M. The relationship of expressive language development and social skills in 4-6-year-old Persian-speaking children. Aud Vestib Res. 2012;21(4):28-36.
- Hegde MN, Pomaville F. Assessment of communication disorders in children: resources and protocols: Plural Publishing; 2021.
- Bishop DV. Specific language impairment: Diagnostic dilemmas. Classification of developmental language disorders: Psychology Press; 2003. p. 321-38.
- Maleki Shahmahmood T, Soleymani Z, Jalaei S. A comparison study in Test of Language Development (TOLD) and speech samples between children with specific language impairment and their MLU matched group. JMR. 2009;2(3):25-33.
- Bishop DV. Why is it so hard to reach agreement on terminology? The case of developmental language disorder (DLD). Int J Lang Commun Disord. 2017;52(6):671-80.
- Toktam Maleki S, Noureddin Nakhostin A, Zahra S. Methodes for identification of specific language impairment. Aud Vestib Res. 2017;23(2).
- Hasanzadeh S, Minaei A. Adaptation and standardization of the test of TOLD-P: 3 for Farsi-speaking children of Tehran. JOEC. 2002;1(2):119-34.
- Carmichael JA, Fraccaro RL, Nordstokke DW. Test Review: Test of Language Development–Intermediate by DD Hammill and PL Newcomer. SAGE Publications Sage CA: Los Angeles, CA; 2014.
- Newcomer PL, Hammill DD. TOLD-P:5 : Test of Language Development. Primary 5th edition: Pro-Ed Austin; 2019.
- Stokes SF, Wong AM, Fletcher P, Leonard LB. Nonword repetition and sentence repetition as clinical markers of specific language impairment: the case of Cantonese. J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2006;49(2):219-36.
- Taha J, Stojanovik V, Pagnamenta E. Sentence Repetition as a Clinical Marker of Developmental Language Disorder: Evidence From Arabic. J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2021;64(12):4876-99.
- Klem M, Melby-Lervag M, Hagtvet B, Lyster SA, Gustafsson JE, Hulme C. Sentence repetition is a measure of children's language skills rather than working memory limitations. Dev Sci. 2015;18(1):146-54.
- Hasanati F, Agharasouli Z, Bakhtiyari BM, Kamali M. Sentence repetition test for measurement of grammatical development in Farsi speaking children. Audiol. 2011;20(1):73-81.
- Oryadi-Zanjani MM, Vahab M, Rahimi Z, Mayahi A. Audiovisual sentence repetition as a clinical criterion for auditory development in Persian-language children with hearing loss. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;93:167-71.
- Vang Christensen R. Sentence repetition: A clinical marker for developmental language disorder in Danish. J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2019;62(12):4450-63.
- Pham G, Ebert KD. Diagnostic accuracy of sentence repetition and nonword repetition for developmental language disorder in Vietnamese. J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2020;63(5):1521-36.
- Riches NG. Sentence repetition in children with specific language impairment: an investigation of underlying mechanisms. Int J Lang Commun Disord. 2012;47(5):499-510.
- Leclercq AL, Quemart P, Magis D, Maillart C. The sentence repetition task: a powerful diagnostic tool for French children with specific language impairment. Res Dev Disabil. 2014;35(12):3423-30.
- Devescovi A, Cristina Caselli M. Sentence repetition as a measure of early grammatical development in Italian. Int J Lang Commun Disord. 2007;42(2):187-208.
- Meir N, Walters J, Armon-Lotem S. Disentangling SLI and bilingualism using sentence repetition tasks: The impact of L1 and L2 properties. Int J Biling. 2016;20(4):421-52.
- Tomblin JB, Records NL, Zhang X. A system for the diagnosis of specific language impairment in kindergarten children. J Speech Hear Res. 1996;39(6):1284-94.
- Foroodi Nejad F. Towards the identification of linguistic characteristics of specific language in Persian: University of Alberta; 2011.
- Hassanati F, Ghoreishi ZS, Nilipour R, Pourshahbaz A, Momenian M. Lexical Access in Persian Speaking Children With and Without Specific Language Impairment. Basic Clin Neurosci. 2020;11(5):659.