Document Type : Original Articles
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Research Center for Psychiatry and behavior Science, Shiraz University of Medical Science, Shiraz, Iran
Department of Psychology, Soroush Auditory Rehabilitation Center, Shiraz, Iran
Department of Speech Therapy, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran.
Rehabilitation Sciences Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Department of Speech Therapy, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Shiraz University of Medical Science, Shiraz, Iran
Background: Hearing loss is one of the most common sensory disorders.The consequences of hearing loss in children and its effect on the mothers of affected children on the one hand and the emphasis of previous research on
the effectiveness of educational interventions along with the lack of comparative studies on the other hand prompted us to conduct this research. The purpose of this study was to compare the effectiveness of parenting education and life skills training on the mental health of mothers with hearing-impaired children in the Covid-19 crisis and quarantine virtually.
Methods: This study was a randomized clinical trial. The research sample consisting of 46 mothers who have children with hearing loss were divided into two groups: a positive parenting training group and a group that was trained in
a life skills program. The workshops of both groups were accomplished online due to the limitations caused by the Covid-19 pandemic. Data collection tools were three questionnaires of parenting, life skills, and general health that were
completed in both pre-test and post-test stages. For data analysis, SPSS software version 26 was used.
Results: The results indicate that parenting education significantly reduced anxiety and depression in mothers with children with hearing impairment.
Conclusion: This research showed that parenting education increases the quality of life of mothers with children with hearing impairment and confirmed the positive effects of such education.
IRCT Registration Number: IRCT20201014049023N1
- Oryadi-Zanjani MM. Production of Infant Scale Evaluation (PRISE) in Persian normal hearing children: A validation study. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2018;113:76-81.
- Oryadi-Zanjani MM. A systematic review of speech recognition assessment tools for Persian-speaking children with and without hearing disorders. JRSR. 2022;9(4):143-150.
- Oryadi-Zanjani MM, Vahab M, Bazrafkan M, Haghjoo A. Audiovisual spoken word recognition as a clinical criterion for sensory aids efficiency in Persian-language children with hearing loss. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2015;79(12):2424-7.
- Oryadi-Zanjani MM, Vahab M, Rahimi Z, Mayahi A. Audiovisual sentence repetition as a clinical criterion for auditory development in Persian-language children with hearing loss. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;93:167-71.
- Oryadi-Zanjani MM, Hasanzadeh S, Rahgozar M, Shemshadi H, Purdy SC, Bakhtiari BM, et al. Comparing the effect of auditory-only and auditory-visual modes in two groups of Persian children using cochlear implants: a randomized clinical trial. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2013;77(9):1545-50.
- Oryadi-Zanjani MM, Mohammadi T, Mohammadi Z, Vahab M. Predictive factors of language development in Persian-speaking children using cochlear implants: a pilot study. JRSR. 2021;8(3):126-31.
- Sarant J, Garrard P. Parenting stress in parents of children with cochlear implants: relationships among parent stress, child language, and unilateral versus bilateral implants. J. Deaf Stud. Deaf Educ. 2014;19(1):85-106.
- Mostafavi F, Hazavehei SMM, Oryadi-Zanjani MM, Rad GS, Rezaianzadeh A, Ravanyar L. Phenomenological needs assessment of parents of children with cochlear implants. Electron Physician. 2017;9(9):5339-48.
- Mostafavi F, Oryadi-Zanjani MM, Rad GS, Hazavehei SMM, Rezaianzadeh A, Ravanyar L. Family-based training program: The role of mothers’ empowerment in the speech development of children with hearing impairments. Pharmacophore. 2017;8(6s):8.
- shahyad s, Mohammadi MT. Psychological impacts of Covid-19 outbreak on mental health status of society individuals: a narrative review. Journal of Military Medicine. 2020;22(2):184-92.
- Oryadi-Zanjani MM, Purdy SC, Vahab M, Rasouli J, Vasfinia M, Lotf E. Translation and adaptation of the auditory behavior in everyday life. JRSR. 2015;3:63-7.
- Oryadi-Zanjani MM, Vahab M, Purdy SC. The Persian version of the auditory behavior in everyday life questionnaire. Int J School Health. 2018;5(1):e55952.
- Oryadi-Zanjani MM, Vahab M. Lexical effects on spoken word recognition in children with hearing impairment: test-retest reliability of the Persian lexical neighborhood tests. JRSR. 2021;8:169-75.
- Shinn MM. Parent–child interaction therapy with a deaf and hard of hearing family. Clin. Case Stud. 2013;12(6):411-27.
- Ghazanfari F, Hosseini Ramaghani N, Moradiyani Gizeh Rod SK, Panahi H. Effectiveness of mindfulness-based parenting educational program on the anxiety, parent-child conflict and parent self-agency in mothers with oppositional defiant disorder children. Quarterly of Horizon of Medical Sciences. 2017;23(3):213-8.
- Movallali G, Poorseyed SR. Attachment styles and perceived parenting styles: a comparison of hearing impaired adolescents and normal adolescents. J Soc Sci. 2015;1(3):7-12.
- Jackson CW. Family supports and resources for parents of children who are deaf or hard of hearing. Am Ann Deaf. 2011;156(4):343-62.
- Ashori M, ghaforian m. The effect of positive parenting program training on the relationship profile of mothers and hearing loss children. JOEC. 2020;20(3):88-79.
- Gallarin M, Alonso-Arbiol I. Parenting practices, parental attachment and aggressiveness in adolescence: A predictive model. J. Adolesc. 2012;35(6):1601-10.
- Sanders MR. Triple P-positive parenting program: towards an empirically validated multilevel parenting and family support strategy for the prevention of behavior and emotional problems in children. Clin. Child Fam. Psychol. Rev. 1999;2(2):71-90.
- Sanders MR. Triple P–positive parenting program: a population approach to promoting competent parenting. Australian e-journal for the Advancement of Mental Health. 2003;2(3):127-43.
- Nowak C, Heinrichs N. A comprehensive meta-analysis of triple P-positive parenting program using hierarchical linear modeling: Effectiveness and moderating variables. Clin. Child Fam. Psychol. Rev. 2008;11(3):114-44.
- Sanders MR, McFarland M. Treatment of depressed mothers with disruptive children: a controlled evaluation of cognitive behavioral family intervention. Behav. Ther. 2000;31(1):89-112.
- Jafari B, Mosavi R, Fathi Ashtiani A, Khoshabi K. The effectiveness of positive parenting program on the mental health of mothers with children suffering from attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder. JFR. 2011;6(4):497-510.
- Jahanimaleki S, Sharifi M, Jahanimaleki R, Nazari G. The relationship between awareness levels of life skill with self efficacy beliefs among Shahid Beheshti university student. JMPR. 2011;6(22):19-49.
- Kazemi P, Aghamohammadian Sharbaf H, Modares Gharavi M, Mahram B. The efficacy of life-enhancement program on mental health and marital satisfaction. Research in Clinical Psychology and Counseling. 2012;1(2).
- Lam-Cassettari C, Wadnerkar-Kamble MB, James DM. Enhancing parent–child communication and parental self-esteem with a video-feedback intervention: outcomes with prelingual deaf and hard-of-hearing children. J. Deaf Stud. Deaf Educ. 2015;20(3):266-74.
- Kakavandi K, Koohi R, Shojaei S, Movallali G, Norozali S. The effectiveness of life skills training on the quality of life of mothers of children with hearing impairment. Aud Vestib Res. 2017;26(1):34-40.
- Khooshab E, Jahanbin I, Ghadakpour S, Keshavarzi S. Managing parenting stress through life skills training: A supportive intervention for mothers with visually impaired children. IJCBNM. 2016;4(3):265.
- Pakzad M, Faramarzi S, Ghamarani A. The effectiveness of mother training based on the model of positive parenting on the rate of behavioral disorders symptoms in deaf students. Audiol. 2014;23(4).
- Abbaszadeh A, Movallali G, Pourmohamadreza-Tajrishi M, Vahedi M. Effect of baby triple P or positive parenting program on mental health and mother-child relationship in mothers of hearing-impaired children. JRehab. 2021;22(2):210-27.