Document Type : Literature Reviews
Department of Speech Therapy, Pediatric Center of Excellence, Children’s Medical Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Department of Speech Therapy, University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Reasons for dysphagia in patients with at-risk respiratory systems during
the COVID-19 pandemic include muscle weakness. During this time, the
rehabilitation program becomes a critical problem. The current narrative
review purposed to answer the question, “What is the modified management of dysphagia in patients with COVID-19 by speech-language pathologists (SLPs)?” Medline, PubMed, Google Scholar, and Scopus databases were searched for information about COVID-19 and dysphagia using search terms such as “COVID-19 and dysphagia,” “speech therapy and COVID-19,” “COVID-19 and dysphagia speech and language pathologist.” As this narrative review concentrated on the intervention of dysphagia throughout the Covid-19 pandemic, the reference lists of articles identified in the search were also examined, and those we considered relevant in keeping with the selected keywords were accepted. Among the 83 articles selected in the first round, 27 were considered for this review. The number of clinical or original articles fitting our criteria was very limited. The main topics in most of the published papers were dysphagia intervention, COVID-19 transmission risk, swallowing assessment and therapy in patients with COVID-19 by SLPs, dysphagia screening tools, swallowing treatments and sensory stimulation in patients with COVID-19, and swallowing exercises and maneuvers conducted by SLPs in COVID-19 cases. An instrumental evaluation of swallowing should be narrowed during the COVID-19 pandemic. SLPs should find different ways to appropriately manage patients with suspected dysphagia. Generally, dysphagia intervention should be reserved for tele-health.
- Traugott M, Hoepler W, Kitzberger R, Pavlata S, Seitz T, Baumgartner S, et al. Successful treatment of intubation-induced severe neurogenic post-extubation dysphagia using pharyngeal electrical stimulation in a COVID-19 survivor: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2021;15(1):1-8.
- Ishkanian A, Mehl A. Clinical Conundrum: Dysphagia in a Patient with COVID-19 and Progressive Muscle Weakness. Dysphagia. 2020:1-2.
- Dawson C, Capewell R, Ellis S, Matthews S, Adamson S, Wood M, et al. Dysphagia presentation and management following coronavirus disease 2019: an acute care tertiary centre experience. J Laryngol Otol. 2020;134(11):981-6.
- Fritz MA, Howell RJ, Brodsky MB, Suiter DM, Dhar SI, Rameau A, et al. Moving forward with dysphagia care: implementing strategies during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond. Dysphagia. 2021;36(2):161-9.
- Kiekens C, Boldrini P, Andreoli A, Avesani R, Gamna F, Grandi M, et al. Rehabilitation and respiratory management in the acute and early post-acute phase.“Instant paper from the field” on rehabilitation answers to the Covid-19 emergency. Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2020:06305-4.
- Miles A, Connor NP, Desai RV, Jadcherla S, Allen J, Brodsky M, et al. Dysphagia care across the continuum: a multidisciplinary Dysphagia Research Society Taskforce report of service-delivery during the COVID-19 global pandemic. Dysphagia. 2020:1-13.
- Lechien JR, Chiesa-Estomba CM, Cabaraux P, Mat Q, Huet K, Harmegnies B, et al. Features of Mild-to-Moderate COVID-19 Patients with Dysphonia. J Voice.. 2020.
- Soldatova L, Williams C, Postma GN, Falk GW, Mirza N. Virtual Dysphagia Evaluation: Practical Guidelines for Dysphagia Management in the Context of the COVID-19 Pandemic. Otolaryngol Head Neck Sur. 2020:0194599820931791.
- Mattei A, de la Bretèque BA, Crestani S, Crevier-Buchman L, Galant C, Hans S, et al. Guidelines of clinical practice for the management of swallowing disorders and recent dysphonia in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. Eur Ann Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Di. 2020;137(3):173-5.
- Frajkova Z, Tedla M, Tedlova E, Suchankova M, Geneid A. Postintubation dysphagia during COVID-19 outbreak-contemporary review. Dysphagia. 2020;35(4):549-57.
- Mohan R, Mohapatra B. Shedding Light on Dysphagia Associated With COVID-19: The What and Why. OTO Open. 2020;4(2):2473974X20934770.
- Ku PK, Holsinger FC, Chan JY, Yeung ZW, Chan BY, Tong MC, et al. Management of dysphagia in the patient with head and neck cancer during COVID‐19 pandemic: Practical strategy. Head & Neck. 2020.
- Aoyagi Y, Inamoto Y, Shibata S, Kagaya H, Otaka Y, Saitoh E. Clinical manifestation, evaluation, and rehabilitative strategy of dysphagia associated with COVID-19. Am J Phys Med Rehabi. 2021;100(5):424.
- Osbeck Sandblom H, Dotevall H, Svennerholm K, Tuomi L, Finizia C. Characterization of dysphagia and laryngeal findings in COVID-19 patients treated in the ICU—An observational clinical study. Plos one. 2021;16(6):e0252347.
- Zanon A, Cacciaguerra L, Martelli G, Filippi M. Neurosensory dysphagia in a COVID-19 patient. J Neurol. 2021:1-3.
- Korupolu R, Francisco GE, Levin H, Needham DM. Rehabilitation of critically ill COVID-19 survivors. The Journal of the International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2020;3(2):45.
- Aoyagi Y, Ohashi M, Funahashi R, Otaka Y, Saitoh E. Oropharyngeal Dysphagia and Aspiration Pneumonia Following Coronavirus Disease 2019: A Case Report. Dysphagia. 2020:1-4.
- Coutts KA. Dysphagia services in the era of COVID-19: Are speech-language therapists essential?. S Afr J Commun Disord. 2020;67(1):1-6.
- Eyigör S, Umay E. Dysphagia management during COVID-19 pandemic: A review of the literature and international guidelines. urk J Phys Med Rehabil (2587-1250). 2021;67(3).
- Marchese MR, Ausili Cefaro C, Mari G, Proietti I, Carfì A, Tosato M, et al. Oropharyngeal Dysphagia After Hospitalization for COVID-19 Disease: Our Screening Results. Dysphagia. 2021:1-7.
- Fernández-Ruiz VE, Paredes-Ibáñez R, Armero-Barranco D, Sánchez-Romera JF, Ferrer M. Analysis of Quality of Life and Nutritional Status in Elderly Patients with Dysphagia in Order to Prevent Hospital Admissions in a COVID-19 Pandemic. Life. 2021;11(1):22.
- Fong R, Tsai KC, Tong MC, Lee KY. Management of Dysphagia in Nursing Homes During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Strategies and Experiences. SN Compr Clin Med. 2020;2(9):1361-5.
- Brodsky MB, Gilbert RJ. The Long-Term Effects of COVID-19 on Dysphagia Evaluation and Treatment. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2020.
- Brodsky MB, Huang M, Shanholtz C, Mendez-Tellez PA, Palmer JB, Colantuoni E, et al. Recovery from dysphagia symptoms after oral endotracheal intubation in acute respiratory distress syndrome survivors. A 5-year longitudinal study. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2017;14(3):376-83.
- Zaga CJ, Pandian V, Brodsky MB, Wallace S, Cameron TS, Chao C, et al. Speech-Language Pathology Guidance for Tracheostomy During the COVID-19 Pandemic: An International Multidisciplinary Perspective. Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2020:1-15.
- Bolton L, Mills C, Wallace S, Brady MC, COVID LTR, Group A. Aerosol generating procedures, dysphagia assessment and COVID‐19: A rapid review. Int J Lang Commun Disord. 2020.
- Dziewas R, Warnecke T, Zürcher P, Schefold JC. Dysphagia in COVID‐19–multilevel damage to the swallowing network?. Eur J Neurol. 2020.
- Falvey JR, Krafft C, Kornetti D. The essential role of home-and community-based physical therapists during the COVID-19 pandemic. Physical therapy. 2020;100(7):1058-61.
- Schindler A, Baijens LW, Clave P, Degen B, Duchac S, Dziewas R, et al. ESSD commentary on dysphagia management during COVID pandemia. Dysphagia. 2020:1-4.
- Ekwueme A, Rockson A, Soliloye O, Fanfon T, Agoriwo M, Anekwu E, et al. Rehabilitation of patients with COVID-19 in African Settings: Guidance for Community Based Rehabilitation Workers.". 2020.
- Kimura Y, Ueha R, Furukawa T, Oshima F, Fujitani J, Nakajima J, et al. Society of swallowing and dysphagia of Japan: Position statement on dysphagia management during the COVID-19 outbreak. Auris Nasus Larynx. 2020;47(5):715-26.
- Longobardi Y, Galli J, D’Alatri L, Savoia V, Mari G, Rigante M, et al. Patients with voice prosthesis rehabilitation during the COVID-19 pandemic: analyzing the effectiveness of remote triage and management. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2021;164(2):277-84.
- Ward EC, Burns CL, Theodoros DG, Russell TG. Impact of dysphagia severity on clinical decision making via telerehabilitation. Telemed J E Health.. 2014;20(4):296-303.
- McNeary L, Maltser S, Verduzco-Gutierrez M. Navigating coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) in physiatry: a CAN report for inpatient rehabilitation facilities. PM & R: the journal of injury, function, and rehabilitation. 2020.
- Mills CS, Michou E, Hanratty A, Gibson A, Bellamy MC. The adaptation of the Leeds Post-Extubation Dysphagia Screen: Lessons learned during the COVID-19 pandemic. J Intensive Care Soc. 2021:1751143721998140.