Document Type: Original Articles
Background: Previous studies have shown detrimental effects of muscle fatigue on balance. Also they have reported the effects of kinesio taping (KT) on postural control, joint support, and muscle function. However, no studies have been conducted so far to assess the immediate effects of KT after local muscle fatigue on balance. Therefore, the aim of this study was to determine whether KT improves the Y-balance test scores after quadriceps fatigue.Methods: Fifty healthy male athletes (18-35 years old) participated in this quasi-experimental study and were randomly allocated to one of the two groups. The control group received only a fatigue protocol and the KT group received both quadriceps KT and the fatigue protocol. The balance of the subjects was assessed by a Y-balance test before and after the interventions.Results: The results revealed a significant decrease in Y-balance test scores after interventions in both groups. The KT group showed better scores in Y-balance test in all directions compared to the control.Conclusion: The study confirmed the positive effect of KT on balance after a fatigue protocol in athletes. We conclude that the application of KT can be an effective intervention for improving balance after induced fatigue in athletes.
- Paillard T, Bizid R, Dupui P. Do sensorial manipulations affect subjects differently depending on their postural abilities? British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2007;41(7):435-8.
- Hawkins RD, Fuller CW. A prospective epidemiological study of injuries in four English professional football clubs. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 1999;33(3):196-203.
- Smith AM, Stuart MJ, Wiese-Bjornstal DM, Gunnon C. Predictors of Injury in Ice Hockey Players A Multivariate, Multidisciplinary Approach. The American Journal of Sports Medicine. 1997;25(4):500-7.
- Springer BK, Pincivero DM. The effects of localized muscle and whole-body fatigue on single-leg balance between healthy men and women. Gait & Posture. 2009;30(1):50-4.
- Suponitsky Y, Verbitsky O, Peled E, Mizrahi J. Effect of selective fatiguing of the shank muscles on single-leg-standing sway. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 2008;18(4):682-9.
- Lin D, Nussbaum MA, Seol H, Singh NB, Madigan ML, Wojcik LA. Acute effects of localized muscle fatigue on postural control and patterns of recovery during upright stance: influence of fatigue location and age. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2009;106(3):425-34.
- Enoka RM, Duchateau J. Muscle fatigue: what, why and how it influences muscle function. The Journal of Physiology. 2008;586(1):11-23.
- Lee H-M, Liau J-J, Cheng C-K, Tan C-M, Shih J-T. Evaluation of shoulder proprioception following muscle fatigue. Clinical Biomechanics. 2003;18(9):843-7.
- Gandevia S. Spinal and supraspinal factors in human muscle fatigue. Physiological reviews. 2001;81(4):1725-89.
- McLean SG, Felin RE, Suedekum N, Calabrese G, Passerallo A, Joy S. Impact of fatigue on gender-based high-risk landing strategies. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 2007;39(3):502.
- Zech A, Steib S, Hentschke C, Eckhardt H, Pfeifer K. Effects of localized and general fatigue on static and dynamic postural control in male team handball athletes. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2012;26(4):1162-8.
- Rozzi S, Yuktanandana P, Pincivero D, Lephart S. Role of fatigue on proprioception and neuromuscular control. Proprioception and neuromuscular control in joint stability Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics. 2000:375-83.
- Munn J, Sullivan SJ, Schneiders AG. Evidence of sensorimotor deficits in functional ankle instability: a systematic review with meta-analysis. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 2010;13(1):2-12.
- Cools A, Witvrouw E, Danneels L, Cambier D. Does taping influence electromyographic muscle activity in the scapular rotators in healthy shoulders? Manual therapy. 2002;7(3):154-62.
- Williams S, Whatman C, Hume PA, Sheerin K. Kinesio taping in treatment and prevention of sports injuries. Sports Medicine. 2012;42(2):153-64.
- Hinman R, Bennell K, Crossley K, McConnell J. Immediate effects of adhesive tape on pain and disability in individuals with knee osteoarthritis. Rheumatology. 2003;42(7):865-9.
- Freedman SR, Brody LT, Rosenthal M, Wise JC. Short-term effects of patellar kinesio taping on pain and hop function in patients with patellofemoral pain syndrome. Sports Health: A Multidisciplinary Approach. 2014;6(4):294-300.
- Perez-Soriano P, Lucas-Cuevas A, Aparicio-Aparicio I, Llana-Belloch S. Effects of KinesiotapeÂ® taping on plantar pressure and impact acceleration during walking. Science & Sports. 2014;29(5):282-7.
- MacGregor K, Gerlach S, Mellor R, Hodges PW. Cutaneous stimulation from patella tape causes a differential increase in vasti muscle activity in people with patellofemoral pain. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 2005;23(2):351-8.
- Zhang S, Fu W, Pan J, Wang L, Xia R, Liu Y. Acute effects of Kinesio taping on muscle strength and fatigue in the forearm of tennis players. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 2015.
- Csapo R, Alegre LM. Effects of KinesioÂ® taping on skeletal muscle strengthâA meta-analysis of current evidence. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 2015;18(4):450-6.
- Alam S, Malhotra D, Munjal J, Chachra A. Immediate effect of Kinesio taping on shoulder muscle strength and range of motion in healthy individuals: A randomised trial. Hong Kong Physiotherapy Journal. 2015;33(2):80-8.
- Qi Q, Wang Y, Chen W, Yu B. The effects of Kinesio taping on muscle strength and proprioception of the knees in female college students. Physiotherapy. 2015(101):e1241-e2.
- Kase K, Hashimoto T. Changes in the volume of the peripheral blood flow by using Kinesio taping. Kinesio Taping Association. 1998;82(1373).
- Lipinska A, Sliwinski Z, Kiebzak W, Senderek T, Kirenko J. Influence of Kinesiotaping applications on lymphoedema of and upper limb in women after mastectomy. Polish Journal of Physiotherapy. 2007;7(3):258-69.
- Chen W-C, Hong W-H, Huang TF, Hsu H-C. Effects of kinesio taping on the timing and ratio of vastus medialis obliquus and vastus lateralis muscle for person with patellofemoral pain. Journal of Biomechanics. 2007;40:S318.
- Nakajima MA, Baldridge C. The effect of kinesioÂ® tape on vertical jump and dynamic postural control. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy. 2013;8(4).
- Plisky PJ, Gorman PP, Butler RJ, Kiesel KB, Underwood FB, Elkins B. The reliability of an instrumented device for measuring components of the star excursion balance test. North American journal of sports physical therapy: NAJSPT. 2009;4(2):92.
- Tanaka T, Hashimoto N, Nakata M, Ito T, Ino S, Ifukube T. Analysis of toe pressures under the foot while dynamic standing on one foot in healthy subjects. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 1996;23(3):188-93.
- Mannion AF, Dolan P, Mannion A. Relationship between myoelectric and mechanical manifestations of fatigue in the quadriceps femoris muscle group. European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology. 1996;74(5):411-9.
- Vercelli S, Sartorio F, Foti C, Colletto L, Virton D, Ronconi G, et al. Immediate effects of kinesiotaping on quadriceps muscle strength: a single-blind, placebo-controlled crossover trial. Clin J Sport Med. 2012;22(4):319-26.
- Han JT, Lee J-h. Effects of kinesiology taping on repositioning error of the knee joint after quadriceps muscle fatigue. Journal of Physical Therapy Science. 2014;26(6):921-3.
- Han JT, Lee J-h. Effects of kinesiology taping on repositioning error of the knee joint after quadriceps muscle fatigue. Journal of Physical Therapy Science. 2014;26(6):921.
- Shimpi AP, Kharkar SA, Talreja AA, Rairikar SA, Shyam A, Sancheti P. Effect of Induced Muscular Fatigue on Balance and Core Strength in Normal Individuals. Indian Journal of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy-An International Journal. 2014;8(3):182-7.
- James CR, Scheuermann BW, Smith MP. Effects of two neuromuscular fatigue protocols on landing performance. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 2010;20(4):667-75.
- Helbostad JL, Sturnieks DL, Menant J, Delbaere K, Lord SR, Pijnappels M. Consequences of lower extremity and trunk muscle fatigue on balance and functional tasks in older people: A systematic literature review. BMC Geriatrics. 2010;10(1):56.
- Thedon T, Mandrick K, Foissac M, Mottet D, Perrey S. Degraded postural performance after muscle fatigue can be compensated by skin stimulation. Gait & Posture. 2011;33(4):686-9.
- Dickin D, Doan J. Postural stability in altered and unaltered sensory environments following fatiguing exercise of lower extremity joints. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports. 2008;18(6):765-72.
- Semple S, Esterhuysen C, Grace J. The Effects of Kinesio Ankle Taping on Postural Stability in Semiprofessional Rugby Union Players. Journal of Physical Therapy Science. 2012;24(12):1239-42.
- SÅupik A, Dwornik M, BiaÅoszewski D, Zych E. Effect of Kinesio Taping on bioelectrical activity of vastus medialis muscle. Preliminary report. Ortopedia, Traumatologia, Rehabilitacja. 2006;9(6):644-51.
- Bigland-Ritchie B. EMG and fatigue of human voluntary and stimulated contractions. Human muscle fatigue: physiological mechanisms. 1981:130-56.
- Sharpe MH, Miles TS. Position sense at the elbow after fatiguing contractions. Experimental Brain Research. 1993;94(1):179-82.
- Doix A-C. Neuromuscular activation strategies of voluntary and electrically elicited muscle fatigue: underlying mechanisms and clinical implications: Universite Nice Sophia Antipolis; Norwegian University of Science and Technology (Trondheim, NorvÃ¨ge); 2013.
- Mense S, Meyer H. Bradykinin-induced modulation of the response behaviour of different types of feline group III and IV muscle receptors. The Journal of Physiology. 1988;398(1):49-63.
- Rotto DM, Kaufman MP. Effect of metabolic products of muscular contraction on discharge of group III and IV afferents. J Appl Physiol. 1988;64(6):2306-13.
- Gandevia S. Neural control in human muscle fatigue: changes in muscle afferents, moto neurones and moto cortical drive. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica. 1998;162(3):275-83.
- Hlavackova P, Vuillerme N. Do somatosensory conditions from the foot and ankle affect postural responses to plantar-flexor muscles fatigue during bipedal quiet stance? Gait & Posture. 2012;36(1):16-9.
- Kunzler MR, Lopes LM, Ueda LS, de Britto MA, Carpes FP. Does skin stimulation compensate impairments in postural control after ankle plantar flexors fatigue? Gait & Posture. 2013;37(4):611-4.
- Ãlvarez-Ãlvarez S, Jose FG-MS, Rodriguez-Fernandez A, GÃ¼eita-Rodriguez J, Waller B. Effects of KinesioÂ® Tape in low back muscle fatigue: Randomized, controlled, doubled-blinded clinical trial on healthy subjects. Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation. 2014;27(2):203-12.
- Collins D, Refshauge K, Gandevia S. Sensory integration in the perception of movements at the human metacarpophalangeal joint. The Journal of Physiology. 2000;529(2):505-15.
- Collins DF, Refshauge KM, Todd G, Gandevia SC. Cutaneous receptors contribute to kinesthesia at the index finger, elbow, and knee. Journal of Neurophysiology. 2005;94(3):1699-706.
- Lins CAdA, Neto FL, Amorim ABCd, Macedo LdB, Brasileiro JS. Kinesio Taping< sup>Â® does not alter neuromuscular performance of femoral quadriceps or lower limb function in healthy subjects: Randomized, blind, controlled, clinical trial. Manual Therapy. 2013;18(1):41-5.
- de Almeida Lins CA, Neto FL, de Amorim ABC, de Brito Macedo L, Brasileiro JS. Kinesio TapingÂ® does not alter neuromuscular performance of femoral quadriceps or lower limb function in healthy subjects: Randomized, blind, controlled, clinical trial. Manual Therapy. 2013;18(1):41-5.
- Ng GY. Patellar taping does not affect the onset of activities of vastus medialis obliquus and vastus lateralis before and after muscle fatigue. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. 2005;84(2):106-11.