Document Type: Original Articles
Department of Sport Injuries and Corrective Exercise, Faculty of Sports Sciences, University of Isfahan, Isfahan, Iran.
Department of Sport Physiology, Faculty of Sports Sciences, University of Isfahan, Isfahan, Iran.
Background: Hemodialysis patients with end-stage renal disease (ESR) havelower physical, emotional, and cognitive functions than healthy people of thesame age due to their inactive lifestyles and treatment approaches. This studyaimed to investigate the effects of selected core stability exercises on the dialysisquality and muscular strength of male hemodialysis patients.Methods: In this quasi–experimental study, 30 male hemodialysis patients(age: 62.24±6.51 years; history of dialysis: 9.4±18.44 months) were selectedby convenience sampling and assigned into experimental (n=15) and control(n=15) groups. The quality of dialysis and muscular strength of the subjects wereassessed by blood sampling before and after dialysis and 5× sit-to-stand tests,respectively. A core stability exercise program was performed for 6 weeks, 3sessions per week, 45 minute per session.Results: Data analysis showed that there was no significant difference in thequality of dialysis between the experimental and control groups (P=0.485), buta significant difference was observed in muscular strength between the twogroups (P=0.001). Exercise has a significant effect on the variable.Conclusion: Based on the results of this study, core stability exercises can berecommended to male hemodialysis patients as a safe and practical strategy forimproving their muscular strength and quality of life.
- Mozafari N. Survey dialysis efficacy hemodialysis patientsâ
- referral to dialysis center in Ardabil town. J Ardabil Univ Med
- Sci, 2002. 4:p. 1-7.
- Parsons TL, Toffelmire EB, King-VanVlack CE. Exercise training
- during hemodialysis improves dialysis efficacy and physical
- performance. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 2006. 87(5): p. 680-7.
- Gray NA, Grace BS, McDonald SP. Peritoneal dialysis in rural
- Australia. BMC Nephrol, 2013. 14:278.
- Parsons Tl, Edwin B, Toffelmire MD. Exercise training during
- hemodialysis improves dialysis efficacy and physical performance.
- Arch Phys Med Rehab, 2006. 87(5): p. 680-7.
- Hojjat M. Hemodialysis adequacy in patients with chronic renal
- failure. Iranian Journal of Critical Care Nursin,, 2009. 2(2): p.
- Kong CH, Tattersall JE, Greenwood RN, Farrington K. The effect
- of exercise during hemodialysis on solute removal. Nephrol Dial
- Transplant, 1999 Dec. 14(12): p. 2927-31.
- Stack AG, Molony DA, Rives T, Tyson J, and Murthy BV.
- Association of physical activity with mortality in the US dialysis
- population. Am J Kidney Dis, 2005 Apr. 45(4): p. 690-701.
- Jindal K, Chan C, Deziel C. Hemodialysis adequacy in adults.
- Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 2006. 17(12):
- p. 4-7.
- Leinau L, Perazella MA. Hip fractures in end-stage renal disease
- patients: Incidence, risk factors, and prevention. Semin Dial,
- 19: p. 75-79.
- Hadi N, Rahmani Z, Montazeri A .Health-related quality of life
- in chronic renal failure patients receiving hemodialysis. Payesh,
- 11(3): p. 349-54.
- Nonoyama ML, Brooks D, Ponikvar A, Jassal SV, Kontos
- P, Devins GM, et al. Exercise program to enhance physical
- performance and quality of life of older hemodialysis patients:
- a feasibility study. Int. Urol. Nephrol, 2010. 42(4): p. 1125-30.
- Joline L, Godfrey S, Moorthi R. Effect of intraâdialytic, low
- âintensity strength training on functional capacity in adult
- hemodialysis patients: a randomized pilot trail. Nephrol dial
- transplant, 2010. P. 1-8.
- Crapes FP, Reinehr FB, Mota CB. Effects of a program for trunk
- strength and stability on pain, low back and pelvis kinematics,
- and body balance. J of Bodywork and Movement Therapies,
- 12(1): p. 22-30.
- Seo B D, Kim B J, Singh K. The comparison of resistance and
- balance exercise on balance and falls efficacy in older females.
- European Geriatric Medicine, 2012. 3: p. 312-6.
- Golpayegani M, Mahdavi S. Hesari A. The Effect of 6 Weeks of
- Core Stabilization Training Program on Falling in the Elderly.
- Journal of Sports Medicine, 2009. 2(1): p. 95-106.
- Vahed Parast H, Ravanipour M. Assessing the adequacy of
- dialysis in patients undergoing Hemodialysis in hemodialysis
- center in Boshehr City. Sci. J. Hamadan Nurs. Midwifery Fac,
- 16(2): p. 50-4.
- Mong, Y., Teo, T. W., et al. â5-repetition sit-to-stand test in
- subjects with chronic stroke: reliability and validity.â Archives
- of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 2010. 91(3): p. 407-413.
- Gage M J. The effects of abdominal training on postural control,
- lower extremity kinematics, kinetics, and muscle activation.
- (Doctoral dissertation). Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah,
- United States, 2009.
- Borzou SR, Gholiaf M, Amini R, Zandieh M, Torkman B. The
- effect of increasing blood flow rate on dialysis adequacy in
- hemodialysis patients. J Shahrekord Univ. Med Sci, 2006. 8(2):
- p. 60-66.
- Reyahi Z, Sfarjani F, Marandi SM, Bayat A, Kalali N. The effects
- of regular exercise program on dialysis efficacy, muscle atrophy
- and physical performance in hemodialysis patients. J Shahrekord
- Univ. Med. Sci, 2012 Dec. 14(5): p. 63-73.
- Chen JL, Godfrey S, Ng TT, Moorthi R, Liangos O, Ruthazer R,
- et al. Effect of intra-dialytic, low-intensity strength training on
- functional capacity in adult haemodialysis patients: a randomized
- pilot trial. Nephrol Dial Transplant, 2010. 25(6): p. 1936-43.
- Storer TW, Casaburi R, Sawelson S, Kopple JD. Endurance
- exercise training during hemodialysis improves strength,
- power, fatigability and physical performance in maintenance
- hemodialysis patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant, 2005 Jul. 20(7):
- p. 1429-37.
- Dostan M, Aslankhani MA, Ebrahim KH, Seyforian M. The effect
- of eight weeks of resistance training and stretching on balance and
- reaction time elderly disabled man. Journal of Motor Behavior
- and Psychology of Sport, 2010. 2(1): p. 323-34.