Document Type: Original Articles
Background: The aim of the present study was to assess the auditory working memory span of children with (central) auditory processing disorders (C) APD aged 8 to 10 years and to compare the results with normal ones.Methods: Twenty five children with (Central) Auditory Processing Disorders (8-10 years) and 75 normal children (8-10 years) from both genders participated in this comparative study. Participants were chosen by convenient sampling method to assess their auditory working memory (WM) span. Forward digit span, backward digit span and non-word repetition tests were used to evaluate the WM span. Nonparametric statistics (Mann–Whitney U) were used for comparing group differences.Results: Forward digit and backward digit and non-word repetition tests showed significant differences in mean scores between those with (C) APD and normal children (p˂0.001).Conclusion: The results suggest that (C) APD children have poorer performance in the WM span than the age matched controls.
- Moore DR, Ferguson MA, Edmondson-Jones AM, Ratib S, Riley A. Nature of auditory processing disorder in children. Pediatrics.126(2):e382-90.
- Wilson WJ, Heine C, Harvey LA. Central auditory processing and central auditory processing disorder: Fundamental questions and considerations. The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Audiology. 2004;26(2):80-93.
- Baddeley A. Working memory. Science. 1992;255(5044):556-9.
- Baddeley A. Working memory: Looking back and looking forward. Nature Reviews Neuroscience. 2003;4(10):829-39.
- Baddeley A. Working memory and language: an overview. J Commun Disord. 2003;36(3):189-208.
- Chermak GD. Auditory processing disorder: An overview for the clinician. The Hearing Journal. 2001;54(7):10-25.
- Moore DR. Listening difficulties in children: Bottom-up and top-down contributions. Journal of communication disorders. 2012;45(6):411-8.
- Moore DR. The diagnosis and management of auditory processing disorder. Language, speech, and hearing services in schools. 2011;42(3):303-8.
- Bamiou DE, Musiek FE, Luxon LM. Aetiology and clinical presentations of auditory processing disorders--a review. Arch Dis Child. 2001;85(5):361-5.
- Dawes P, Bishop D. Auditory processing disorder in relation to developmental disorders of language, communication and attention: a review and critique. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders. 2009;44(4):440-65.
- Nickisch A, Kiese-Himmel C. [(Central) Auditory Processing Disorders in 8 - 10-year-old children: which tests distinguish between normal and impaired children?]. Laryngorhinootologie. 2009;88(7):469-76.
- Nickisch A, Gohde K, Kiese-Himmel C. [CAPD in 2nd-Graders of Primary Schools: Which tests Discriminate Normal from Impaired Children?]. Laryngorhinootologie. 2013 Sep;92(9):594-9.
- Moossavi A, Mehrkian S, Lotfi Y, Faghihzadeh S. The relation between working memory capacity and auditory lateralization in children with auditory processing disorders. International journal of pediatric otorhinolaryngology. 2014;78(11):1981-6.
- Shahim S. Correlations for Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children--Revised and the Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence for Iranian children. Psychological reports. 1992;70(1):27-30.
- Muluk NB, Keith RW. Random gap detection test and random gap detection test-expanded: Results in children with previous language delay in early childhood. Auris Nasus Larynx.38(1):6-13.
- Domitz DM, Schow RL. A new CAPD battery--multiple auditory processing assessment: factor analysis and comparisons with SCAN. Am J Audiol. 2000;9(2):101-11.
- Musiek FE. Assessment of central auditory dysfunction: the dichotic digit test revisited. Ear Hear. 1983;4(2):79-83.
- Gathercole SE. Is nonword repetition a test of phonological memory or long-term knowledge? It all depends on the nonwords. Memory & Cognition. 1995;23(1):83-94.
- Moossavi A, Khavarghazalani B, Lotfi Y, Mehrkian S, Mahmoodi-Bakhtiyari B, Bakhshi E. Validity and reliability of a non-word repetition test for evaluation phonological working memory span in Persian speaking children. Audiology. 2014:0-.
- Dehkordi.S. Naming Speed and Performance in Three Components of Working Memory in Dyslexic and Normal Children. Iranian Journal of Exceptional Children. 2011;11(1):11-21.
- Iliadou V, Bamiou DE. Psychometric Evaluation of Children With Auditory Processing Disorder (APD): Comparison With Normal-Hearing and Clinical Non-APD Groups. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. 2012;55(3):791-9.
- Ferguson MA, Hall RL, Riley A, Moore DR. Communication, listening, cognitive and speech perception skills in children with auditory processing disorder (APD) or specific language impairment (SLI). Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. 2011;54(1):211-27.
- Miller CA, Wagstaff DA. Behavioral profiles associated with auditory processing disorder and specific language impairment. J Commun Disord.44(6):745-63.