Document Type: Original Articles
Department of Physiotherapy, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Department of Physiotherapy, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
Background and objectives: Examination of cartilage repair in animal work is dependent upon the thickness and radius of the induced impalement. Full-thickness defects with a radius of 3 mm have been commonly used in animal studies to evaluate new procedures designed to improve the quality of articular cartilage repair. The aim of the present study was to define the biomechanical characteristics of the repair of 5×4 mm full-thickness osteochondral defects in adult male rabbits.Methods: In a controlled clinical trial study 5 mm diameter and 4 mm deep osteochondral defects were drilled in the femoral patellar groove of twenty-one rabbits, and examined at 4, 8, and 16 weeks. The left knee was kept intact and was regarded as control. The knee joints were removed, and both legs were examined biomechanically by in situ indentation method at three time intervals (4, 8, 16 weeks). The instantaneous and equilibrium elastic- modulus (after 900 second) were measured during the test.Results: There were no differences in cartilage mechanical properties (instantaneous and equilibrium elastic-modulus) in different weeks (4, 8, 16 weeks) in the two groups (p=0/08). However, significant differences were seen between the experimental and control groups in 16 weeks in instantaneous elastic_ modulus (p= 0.44). It suggests that new tissue in this group had more stiffness than control in 16 weeks.Conclusion: Full-thickness osteochondral defect, measuring 5×4 mm in the patellar groove of the adolescent rabbit knee healed spontaneously.
- Kamali F, Ebrahimi E, Bayat M, Torkaman G, Salavati M. The effect of low level laser therapy on the repair of osteochondral defects in rabbit knee. Iranian journal of medical physics 2007;88:11-15.
- Hunziker E, Quinn T, HÃ¤uselmann HJ. Quantitative structural organization of normal adult human articular cartilage. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 2002;10(7):564-72.
- OâDriscoll SW. Current concepts review-the healing and
- regeneration of articular cartilage. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 1998;80(12):1795.
- Buckwalter J. Articular cartilage injuries. Clinical orthopaedics and related research 2002;402:21-37.
- Guo X, Park H, Young S, Kretlow JD, van den Beucken JJ, Baggett LS, et al. Repair of osteochondral defects with biodegradable hydrogel composites encapsulating marrow mesenchymal stem cells in a rabbit model. Acta Biomater 2010 Jan;6(1):39-47.
- Bayat M, Kamali F, Dadpay M. Effect of low-level infrared
- laser therapy on large surgical osteochondral defect in rabbit: a histological study. Photomedicine and Laser Surgery 2009;27(1):25-30.
- OâDriscoll SW. Current Concepts Review-The Healing and Regeneration of Articular Cartilage*. The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery 1998;80(12):1795-812.
- Shahgaldi BF. Repair of large osteochondral defects: load-bearing and structural properties of osteochondral repair tissue. The Knee 1998;5(2):111-7.
- Otsuka Y, Mizuta H, Takagi K, Iyama K, Yoshitake Y,
- Nishikawa K, et al. Requirement of fibroblast growth factor signaling for regeneration of epiphyseal morphology in rabbit full thickness defects of articular cartilage. Development, growth & differentiation 1997;39(2):143-56.
- Fung DTC, Ng GYF, Leung MCP, Tay DKC. Therapeutic low energy laser improves the mechanical strength of repairing medial collateral ligament. Lasers in surgery and medicine 2002;31(2):91-6.
- Smith CL, Mansour JM. Indentation of an osteochondral repair: sensitivity to experimental variables and boundary conditions. Journal of Biomechanics 2000;33(11):1507-11.
- Malmonge S, Zavaglia C, Belangero W. Biomechanical and histological evaluation of hydrogel implants in articular cartilage. Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research 2000;33(3):307-12.
- Roemhildt ML, Coughlin KM, Peura GD, Fleming BC, Beynnon BD. Material properties of articular cartilage in the rabbit tibial plateau. Journal of biomechanics 2006;39(12):2331-7.
- Qiu YS, Shahgaldi B, Revell W, Heatley F. Observations of subchondral plate advancement during osteochondral repair: a histomorphometric and mechanical study in the rabbit femoral condyle. Osteoarthritis and cartilage 2003;11(11):810-20.
- Wayne JS, McDowell CL, Willis MC. Long-term survival of regenerated cartilage on a large joint surface. Journal of rehabilitation research and development 2001;38(2):191-200.
- Huibregtse B, Samuels J, OâCallaghan M. Development of a cartilage defect model of the knee in the goat for autologous chondrocyte implantation research. Trans Orthop Res Soc. 1999;24:797.
- Breinan H, Minas T, Barone L, Tubo R, Hsu HP, Shortkroff S, et al. Histological evaluation of the course of healing of canine articular cartilage defects treated with cultured autologous chondrocytes. Tissue Engineering 1998;4(1):101-13.
- Convery FR, Akeson WH, Keown GH. The repair of large osteochondral defects An experimental study in horses. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 1972;82:253.
- Ahsan T, Sah RL. Biomechanics of integrative cartilage repair. Osteoarthritis and cartilage 1999;7(1):29-40.
- Narmoneva DA, Cheung HS, Wang JY, Howell DS, Setton LA. Altered swelling behavior of femoral cartilage following joint immobilization in a canine model. Journal of orthopaedic research 2002;20(1):83-91.